Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with surf on 2014 Malibu

Djyas

Greetings,

I’m a Mastercraft owner trying to help my buddy with his Malibu.  We took his (new to him) 2014 out yesterday to surf and it didn’t go great.  We filled all the tanks, put the mission DC device on and had 9 people on the boat.  The boat couldn’t get over 10mph despite us pushing the cruise control to 11.5.  My concern is that the boat was overweighted and rather than being a software setting issue we’re just asking too much if the engine/prop.  I’d welcome your advice on how to get the boat to surf well.  

Yep. Sounds like she was overweighted. 9 people is a decent amount of weight, likely about the weight the ballast adds. So pretty much asking the boat to move double the weight. If that scenario is common, then a new prop would help.

• Like 1

What model boat? What engine? What prop? What elevation are you boating at? Does he have PNP bags in the rear? It’s a 2014 without surfgate??

probably too much weight and/or the weight is in the wrong place. If he has rear PNP bags plus 9 people you are going to need to empty the rear bags some and make sure people are sitting in the bow to compensate all that rear weight. When we get large groups I don’t fill the rear ballast bast 50% and still have a great wave. Too much weight can actually sink the surfgate creating a smaller weaker wave.

20 hours ago, Djyas said:

Greetings,

I’m a Mastercraft owner trying to help my buddy with his Malibu.  We took his (new to him) 2014 out yesterday to surf and it didn’t go great.  We filled all the tanks, put the mission DC device on and had 9 people on the boat.  The boat couldn’t get over 10mph despite us pushing the cruise control to 11.5.  My concern is that the boat was overweighted and rather than being a software setting issue we’re just asking too much if the engine/prop.  I’d welcome your advice on how to get the boat to surf well.  

Curious - why does a 2014 Malibu need a mission device?  It does not have surf gates?

My prior 2014 had no problem getting to surf speed with full Ballast, custom PnP rear bags and a bow bag.  Granted that was with the LS3 engine, but the boat should get above 10 mph unless you are at altitude.  The only time we had trouble getting above 10 mph is when our fuel pump was going out.