Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sitting in the back while wake surfing

Delpiero

A year ago we got pulled over by the coastguards because someone was sitting on the rear seats next to the swim platform.

Safety corners or some bs from Nevada state.. what's really the issue? I find it almost impossible to get hurt at 10mph or even hit the propeller.

is it an outdated law? I would be a bit skeptical about a self-driving 1967 Chevy Impala but have no problems with a Tesla is it too hard to keep up?

what do you guys think about this one?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Delpiero

Not bs. Pretty sure people falling off on accident is the main concern. Most adults don’t wear a life jacket while on the boat, so a possibility of drowning is real. And add booze in there… :crazy:. Just a bad idea.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

A bad idea, sure, but does the government need to be our nanny about everything?  All this kind of stuff just helps weaken our gene pool.

@Delpiero, the next time the Coast Guard pulls you over in Nevada, zip up your spine and ask them what coast they are guarding.

Everybody please have a safe and happy dependence day!

• Haha 3

when we're sitting there we have a life jacket since we're starting from the swim platform at 10mph and ready to wake surf without using the rope so why make it illegal

Man overboard is the biggest risk and why it's coast guard rule. Other good reasons are co and co², alcohol, and general drowsiness.

Note that manufacturers sell these for watching during swimming.

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV

They are not considered seats. That is why it is illegal. Especially if you have just the step as you show in your picture of the 21 vlx. Just sit inside the boat and ride on. 

• Like 2

There was thread last year RE CO, I don't know why the law was written but from what I read on the subject CO seems to be likely reason.  The colorless, odorless thing makes it kind of hard to avoid other than just avoiding the situation.

Edited by Surf4FamFun
CO2 corrected to CO
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Surf4FamFun said:

There was thread last year RE CO2, I don't know why the law was written but from what I read on the subject CO2 seems to be likely reason.  The colorless, odorless thing makes it kind of hard to avoid other than just avoiding the situation.

we have a surf pipe on our malibu.. you're saying that a person sitting back there is at risk of carbon dioxide? more than the person wake surfing? would this still apply to the new electric wake boats coming out pretty soon?

6 hours ago, Delpiero said:

we have a surf pipe on our malibu.. you're saying that a person sitting back there is at risk of carbon dioxide? more than the person wake surfing? would this still apply to the new electric wake boats coming out pretty soon?

tangent here, but curious who is coming out with electric engines soon - has there been any word from malibu or any of the big players on timing of this? I have had a Tesla for 4 years and would love to see boats go electric, but from what I had read was that it is a long ways off because it takes a lot more power due to the friction of a boat pushing through the water than a car rolling on wheels. 

7 hours ago, Delpiero said:

how does the LEO on the lake know that?  The rules are written for the lowest common denominator.

Which lake in Nevada were you on?  I could see that you could nevertheless get away with it on for certain on Pyramid or maybe Mead.  Doubtful everywhere else.

• Thanks 1

I have sat there when talking to kids trying to learn how to get up, sometimes guiding the rope to help them stay on the surf side, but if they get up, I'm back in the boat.  Yes, there is a risk for falling off, and even though it would be at only 10MPH, getting a concussion from hitting the surfboard is a real possibility.  And without a PFD, a concussed person is probably a pretty darn high drowning risk.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

The rules are written for the lowest common denominator.

Soon we will all be wearing a leash and a shock collar that The Man can use to get us to submit to the will of the government, which exists to save us from ourselves.

7 minutes ago, justgary said:

Soon we will all be wearing a leash and a shock collar that The Man can use to get us to submit to the will of the government, which exists to save us from ourselves.

I mean yeah, maybe.  But I don't think that telling people not to sit on the back of the boat is gonna be the last straw.  You'll have a few more warning signs before bill gates activates the 5G.

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I mean yeah, maybe.  But I don't think that telling people not to sit on the back of the boat is gonna be the last straw.  You'll have a few more warning signs before bill gates activates the 5G.

How many warning signs do I need?  It isn't just saving us from ourselves, either.  Every time the government gets involved in something, the whole system gets rigged.  Here in the south, you can't even stick a peanut into the ground without a government agent driving up to check your papers to see if you are cheating the system.  After all, they are paying your neighbor to *not* grow peanuts on his 160 acres, so why should you be allowed to plant any?

Please note that I am not anti-government, but I do think that we were better off when we all had the liberty to go out and hurt ourselves if we wanted to.  When I was a kid, you could go to the hardware store and buy dynamite.  Now you can't even buy true black powder without big time regulations.

ahopkins22LSV

Ooook, let’s not get this thread locked. The question was about if it’s legal to sit back there not if the government should be allowed to regulate where you can sit or not. The rule/law is what it is and it’s extremely easy to follow without inconveniencing anyone at all. 

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Please note that I am not anti-government, but I do think that we were better off when we all had the liberty to go out and hurt ourselves if we wanted to.  When I was a kid, you could go to the hardware store and buy dynamite.  Now you can't even buy true black powder without big time regulations.

I don't think most people really care if someone goes out and hurts themselves when doing something very stupid, even the government.  That's how many lawyers make a good living.  Of course, it isn't fun being on the receiving end of a lawsuit just because something wasn't engineered to be idiot proof in a world full of so many innovative idiots.  Making something 1D10T compliant these days can be a real challenge.

2 minutes ago, csleaver said:

I don't think most people really care if someone goes out and hurts themselves when doing something very stupid, even the government.  That's how many lawyers make a good living.  Of course, it isn't fun being on the receiving end of a lawsuit just because something wasn't engineered to be idiot proof in a world full of so many innovative idiots.  Making something 1D10T compliant these days can be a real challenge.

Trust me, I get it.  I wasn't even going to mention tort reform! 

It all started going down hill after the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap thing.  A spare gas can is almost useless these days due to the way the cap has to not allow you to pour gas out of it.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

The rule/law is what it is and it’s extremely easy to follow without inconveniencing anyone at all. 

I'm not trying to argue with you here, but the OP stated that he was inconvenienced due to the fact that he can't launch and land a surf session while underway due to the law.  Personally, I think it's risky behavior, but I will admit to barefooting from the boat by climbing out the boom and grabbing the handle.  I have never gotten back *in* the boat while under way, but others have.

I agree that the law is what it is now, but is it possible that we can expect changes in the future?  I just happen to be pessimistic and expect any changes to make it worse.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:46 AM, Delpiero said:

Big issue with writing rules is to whom they apply.  Our 2021 MXZ has a surf pipe and catalytic converters.  If all is working well on the fuel and emission system CO is low risk at surf speed.  The risk profile is very different for pre fuel injection engine with no catalytic converter without a surf pipe.  At low speeds the back of the boat is pretty high risk for a rich running carb setup with exhaust under the platform.  Same rule applies to both boats I assume, so may not make sense on our boat but for the situation across the range of boats on the water the rule applies to it does.

How much we should let Darwin thin the herd is a different conversation which gets really complicated in part because it presumes everyone has the knowledge to assess all risks they encounter (they don't) and when others come to a situation they rely on the expert (boat owner that invited them) to manage risk.  I amazes me sometimes the comments people on this form make that show a lack of understanding of things I understand.  I am sure others put me in the uninformed silly question guy sometimes as well.  My point being that rules are written in part to protect people who don't get what is going on, and reasonably can't be expected to know.  

Perhaps I am taking this a little too much to heart but I have had CO poisoning, it is not fun, you don't necessarily see/feel it coming.  At the time it became obvious I needed help mobility was a guy on each arm and leg with me in the sack position, it went from why do I feel this way to carrying me in VERY short order.   It took me weeks to fully recover.

Edited by Surf4FamFun
corrected CO2 to CO
11 hours ago, justgary said:

Trust me, I get it.  I wasn't even going to mention tort reform! 

It all started going down hill after the McDonald's hot coffee in the lap thing.  A spare gas can is almost useless these days due to the way the cap has to not allow you to pour gas out of it.

Yep but you can get the old kind of spouts with the right threads on Amazon.  Saved a lot of gas cans for me.

1 hour ago, Surf4FamFun said:

If all is working well on the fuel and emission system CO2 is low risk at surf speed.

You've confused CO and CO². Yes CO is much more dangerous, but our bodies also have no detection system for CO², one of the 2 guaranteed emissions (the other being water) from a hydrocarbon fuel.

23 hours ago, Delpiero said:

you're saying that a person sitting back there is at risk of carbon dioxide? more than the person wake surfing? would this still apply to the new electric wake boats coming out pretty soon?

Nobody is saying that there is no risk for the surfer, it has made FAE lots of customers. It has also resulted in many people's deaths.

Yes, an electric boat would still be applicable, because the coast guard rule is to prevent man overboards. (The rule also applies ocean ships that likely have a center stack exhaust).

From a surfer, watcher perspective; skiers also have rules about mirrors and observers. The captain may be able to observe both the rear seats and the skier, but it's not optimal; and the rules don't go to spell out that you can have a skier and 2 people in the back seat if and only if you have at least 2 observers in the cabin and a 75" mirror.

2 hours ago, smileysteve said:

You've confused CO and CO². Yes CO is much more dangerous, but our bodies also have no detection system for CO², one of the 2 guaranteed emissions (the other being water) from a hydrocarbon fuel.

My bad, you are correct the dangerous one is CO (Carbon Monoxide), binds to and does not release from hemoglobin very readily.  Went back and edited the posts.

11 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

My point being that rules are written in part to protect people who don't get what is going on, and reasonably can't be expected to know.  

The rules are written because we allow juries to decide the "facts."  In the case of McDonald's coffee, the lady should have been expected to know that putting hot coffee in her lap had the potential to end poorly.  In the case of Roundup, a jury decided that it causes Lymphoma.  The decision was not based purely on science or due diligence, but it had a lot to do with "deep pockets." 

Heck, the Mesothelioma money is still paying lawyers to root a few more victims out of the woodwork with their incessant TV ads.  It doesn't matter that you basically had to work in a cloud of asbestos dust every day for a lifetime *and* be a chain smoker.  The cost of renovating buildings that have asbestos tile on the floor is ridiculous now because they have to seal the building and wear space suits to remove tile.  The asbestos is bound in the tile and very unlikely to create a big cloud of asbestos dust, but none of that matters.