Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski locker doesnt drain

Ullose272

My 99 malibu the ski locker doesnt drain like at all. I know there is a plug you can pull, but could you drill a hole to connect to the rear engine area so that it would drain?

On my 97 Sunsetter there was a plug between the ski locker and the engine area.  Not sure if anything changed between years but seems reasonable to put a hole there.

if the boat stays floating on the water (or in consideration of the next owner) perhaps a hole that can be plugged?

if one of those compartments stays dry while the other floods is the likelihood of a sunken rig reduced?

• Like 3

When I bought my 99 VLX earlier this year it had been sitting in a lakeside covered lift for 6 years. I brought it home and opened the ski locker to find it completely full to the brim with blackish lake water, beer, suntan oil and whatever else you can imagine. I fished around under the slimy rubber netting ,found the through-hole brass drain plug and managed to get a wrench on it. I'm thinking of put good drain hose past the fuel tank to the engine compartment if there is room. For now I just drain it anytime I see sitting water.

My ‘00 SSLxi had both a drain to the rear and to the engine compartment, but that’s a DD.

why doesn’t it drain? When on my lift the water on mine would collect forward of the drain so I would just reach in and scoop the water to the rear. It would take a while but it worked.

12 hours ago, braindamage said:

My ‘00 SSLxi had both a drain to the rear and to the engine compartment, but that’s a DD.

why doesn’t it drain? When on my lift the water on mine would collect forward of the drain so I would just reach in and scoop the water to the rear. It would take a while but it worked.

Sorry i should clarify, i can pull the ski locker plug and it will drain, but i would like it to connect to rear compartment so i can just pull the rear plug.

58 minutes ago, Ullose272 said:

Sorry i should clarify, i can pull the ski locker plug and it will drain, but i would like it to connect to rear compartment so i can just pull the rear plug.

I have to tilt my trailer very high to fully drain the boat using the rear plug.  I only use it when I want to scrub the bilge.  I normally only use the ski locker plug.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, justgary said:

I have to tilt my trailer very high to fully drain the boat using the rear plug.  I only use it when I want to scrub the bilge.  I normally only use the ski locker plug.

See i it doesnt seem that mine is connected 

8 minutes ago, Ullose272 said:

See i it doesnt seem that mine is connected 

What model is your boat? If it’s a vdrive it probably only has a drain out the bottom of the hull.

12 minutes ago, Baggerlance said:

What model is your boat? If it’s a vdrive it probably only has a drain out the bottom of the hull.

It is a v drive 1999 sunsetter vlx

1 hour ago, Ullose272 said:

It is a v drive 1999 sunsetter vlx

Do you see a plug in the bulkhead at the rear of the ski locker?  The water should drain right through from back to front.

The forward hull drain is in the bottom of the ski locker, slightly to the starboard side, roughly equal to the front edge of the Captain's seat.

ON my '98 VLX the front drain is under V-drive & there is a plug between ski locker & engine compartment.  I usually pull the front drain after riding rarely ever use the rear plug....