Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Updated HDS Repair options?

Rather than bump one of the many older threads on this topic I thought I'd start a new one since some of the info in those old threads is outdated.

I have a new to me 2002 Sunsetter with the HDS leak issue - did the reverse water test by filling the hull and seeing the water seeping out into the HDS from the rear of the box towards the stern.  I have read most if not all of the threads on here regarding the repair and many mention a shaft log from everglass.com but that site no longer exists and a quick search of Malibu shaft log results in several brass shaft logs showing bolt holes.  So here are my questions - 

1. Will one of these brass shaft logs work?  How can I be sure I get the right one for this boat?  Are all the DD Malibu's the same angle?

2. How do you install in correctly?  Drill the hull and bolt thru and use sealant- countersink using stainless steel bolts with countersink heads?  Fiberglass over the brass log into the hull without bolts?  Do bolts then glass it in? Ironically I cannot find a single video on how to install one of these in a Malibu DD.  

3. Is this still the best permanent solution to the leaking issues?  Would I be better served by doing the HDS box repair using new fiberglass inside the box and keeping it?

I now know that most everyone who has on older Malibu DD has or will have to deal with this issue so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.  FWIW we are taking on approximately 3 or 4 gallons of water in about an hour on the water and I cannot find any other sources of leaking - not enough to panic but I wouldn't try leaving the boat in the water overnight for sure.

IIWM, I would be following the repair protocols that are well detailed here.  Fortunately for me, I've not had to experience this on my older DD boats, nor my current DD, which does have the HDS box.  YMMV, but that would be my approach. 

formulaben
2 hours ago, Johnseed said:

many mention a shaft log from everglass.com but that site no longer exists

https://web.archive.org/web/20160331105706/http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm

Will one of these brass shaft logs work?

Not sure why it wouldn't, but if the hull isn't flat in that area, then I don't think it would works, as it would not seal against the hull.  On my boat there is a relatively flat section in that area, and I would assume part of that is to fit and seal the shaft log.

How do you install in correctly?  Drill the hull and bolt thru and use sealant- countersink using stainless steel bolts with countersink heads?  Fiberglass over the brass log into the hull without bolts?  Do bolts then glass it in? Ironically I cannot find a single video on how to install one of these in a Malibu DD.  

Assuming it would fit, then I would slide the shaft log onto the shaft and use the driveshaft as a guide on where to fit it, then drill the holes, countersink with stainless bolts and countersink the heads.  I'd use 3M 4200 sealant.