Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bent Bimini Poles

So, we had our first multi family trip at the lake and it was a blast.  As a relatively new captain, I measured my unease with the constant reminder to relax and to make sure the 5 kids were having fun (ages 8-11).  All was good with a few issues.  Nothing too big but I would like help on this one.

6:45 am, day one, first run – in fact, first pull… wakeboard line gets hooked under/on the cover of the fluid concepts extended bimini.  Luckily, as I was pulling the rider up from the side, I noticed this just as the tension began.  I quickly slowed the boat and grabbed the line under the bimini corner it was stuck on, it what seemed like one motion.  Being that there was nothing catastrophic (no canvas tear or pole being ripped off), I continued the day with no additional thoughts.

It was not until we anchored for lunch that I noticed it was off center.  Finally, when we went in for the day, we folded the bimini’s up and I see a 2-4 inch difference in the resting positions of the poles as compared to the opposite side.  Everything works, no issues with tension or using it throughout the trip.

What can I do to bend the poles back?  Should I take the opposite side off and attempt to mirror those with the help of a vise?  Anyone else come across this with the extended bimini?  Thanks. 

Just get the same kid up the same way on opposite side...voila!

JK - be very careful, as aluminum has a tendency to crack or crush.  Is it so bad it will bother you if you just leave it?  I'm thinking the passengers will now have more shade.

I wish, kid may not have bent them... Full grown 200+lb man.  I was lucky to have seen it when I did.  It is noticeable deployed/stored but only an eyesore when stored in the boot.  Does it bother me? Enough to post and ask for help... Although, not enough if TMC consensus is that there is a possibility for more harm than good in attempting to fix it. 

I'll see what I can do... Boat is in the shop concerning one of the other issues (Surf gate lock)  That happened at the end of the trip.  I'll call service and see if they'll snap a pic.  Otherwise, I'll take one this weekend.

If it is round aluminum tubing, gently bend it over your upper thigh using your hands.  Don't use any hard surface to brace against, or it will crease.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1