Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For those who have Skylon Tuna Towers

hmh800

Hi Guys-

Over the winter I took off my Tuna Tower as one of the welds had broken above where the removal piece is on the bag leg to weld it up.  While I was at it I had that weird joint above the pivot on the front leg welded too.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT MADE!  The tower is sooo much stiffer now.  I don't know what the function of that joint was- I guess it was just to allow some movement when folding the tower down, but that's where all the lame flex was coming from.  The tower used to shake all over.  Made me nervous towing over bumps at speed.  I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about, but for those who still have these towers (mine's on a 2001 SS Lxi) I highly recommend this!  It was one of the weak points of an otherwise great boat!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The weld right at the bottom of the fitting in the photo is the one that had broken.  The second weld right below that is where the joint in the fitting to tube connection was.  If you have a Tuna Tower you will see that where mine is welded.  This is where a significant amount of the flex in the tower was coming from.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I don’t know how well it folds down now as I have not tried it.  I assume the joint in the front hoop is to allow a little articulation when folding the tower down, but the joints in mine hardly moved at all before welding.