Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop won't come off

I am trying to remove the prop from my A20.  I have tried a "harmonic" prop puller and a C-clamp prop puller.  I have watched the videos that show props popping loose with a couple of raps on the prop puller with a hammer.  I have used several sizes of hammer, including a 1lb sledge, beating on the prop pullers and mine will not budge.

And yes, I have backed the nut off about 1/4 inch so it's not being held on by the nut, just the friction of the tapered shaft.

I am applying PB Buster and letting it soak, but I'm skeptical that will make a difference.

Any ideas?  Can I apply some heat to the prop hub without damaging the strut?

first is the worst, i tightened my c clamp and hit it hard then let sit overnight, next day tighten clamp more, hit it hard, overnight, 3rd day popped right off after tighten and hit

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1

I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago when I changed mine. Fought it for 2 nights, ended up using a small torch and it came right off.

• Like 2

+1 on the mapgas torch.  I have had to do it once on my boat but I use them to remove big hvac air handler pulleys quite often at work.  No it shouldn’t damage the strut or the shaft, so long as you do the work properly - keeping in mind that applying heat will make the heated metal expand - so you want to apply the heat on the props hub only. If you heat up the shaft faster than the prop it’s likely to just get tighter.  You probably already knew that but you’d be surprised how many people (even hvac pros) who skip that detail and end up damaging shafts.  It shouldn’t take much heat -and spinning the prop with on hand slowly while you apply the heat will keep your torch flame from inadvertently burning your bottom paint.  

12 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

+1 on the mapgas torch.  I have had to do it once on my boat but I use them to remove big hvac air handler pulleys quite often at work.  No it shouldn’t damage the strut or the shaft, so long as you do the work properly - keeping in mind that applying heat will make the heated metal expand - so you want to apply the heat on the props hub only. If you heat up the shaft faster than the prop it’s likely to just get tighter.  You probably already knew that but you’d be surprised how many people (even hvac pros) who skip that detail and end up damaging shafts.  It shouldn’t take much heat -and spinning the prop with on hand slowly while you apply the heat will keep your torch flame from inadvertently burning your bottom paint.  

You never want to damage your shaft

1) Don't over tighten the C clamp puller - if you do it can cause it to pull crooked and actually bend it.  The puller is not to actually try to pull the prop off, just to introduce some tension

2) Heat up the prop hub with a map torch (I typically don't do this on the first go around)

3) Smack the SIDE of the c clamp puller once like it owes you money with a steel hammer - not a deadblow.  You want some vibration to be caused

thepurse.jpg

Edited by oldjeep