Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service Required Warning - 2009 VLX - Newbie!

While out this past weekend, I started getting the below Service Required Warning pop up on my screen with a beeping warning. It was when I was on my way home anyway so I clicked exit. The message and the beeping would stop for a short time and then come back a few minutes later. It came on the first time going about 25-30 MPH, then the next few times it came on, I was going much slower (even as slow as 3-4 MPH in a no wake zone.

I had my boat fully serviced in the off season. I've only taken it out a handful of times for between a total of 5-10 hours since that full off season service.

I'm sure this warning can mean many different things. For a newbie that is mechanically challenged, any suggestions on what to look at first?

Thanks!

spacer.png

Use the setup button on the Malivue screen and select the active and inactive engine faults on the menu to see if there are any SPN FMI diagnostic codes.  You can look them up online, or post them here to get a better idea of why you are getting the service required (check engine) alarm.

Finally was able to check. There we no codes in the "Active Codes" section. This is an image of the code(s) listed in the "Inactive Codes". Does anyone know what this code means and what I should look at first to troubleshoot. Thanks!!!

spacer.png

SPN 3050 FMI 11 indicates an inactive exhaust catalyst on the bank 1 starboard side. 

It can be caused by a faulty post cat O2 sensor, a wiring issue, an exhaust leak, or the catalyst in the manifold is damaged.

Try swapping the port and starboard O2 sensors to see if the same fault occurs again or if a SPN 3051 FMI 11 fault occurs for the other side.  If the fault follows the sensor then replace the sensor.  If you get the same code then check the condition of the catalyst or for exhaust leaks.

Do you think it can be driven about 20 minutes to the ramp so I can get it to the repair shop? I'd hate to drive it if that might make things worse.

Or do you think this is something simple enough for someone severely mechanically challenged like myself to try? If so, how would I go about trying it? Is there any instructions or videos anywhere?

Thanks!

I doubt driving the boat could make a faulty sensor or damaged catalyst substrate need to be more replaced than it would already possibly need to be.  It is likely that the RPM will become limited by the fault code.

You would need an O2 sensor socket to remove and swap the O2 sensors for testing and possibly a scope camera to inspect the catalyst substrate.  Loose or corroded battery and ground cable connections on the batteries or engine or low voltage can also cause unexpected fault codes.

If you have the 5.7L engine it may also be a good idea to have the ETX exhaust replumb kit installed to increase the water flow to the exhaust and keep it cooler to prevent premature catalyst failure.

I think that makes it pretty clear. I'll be bringing it somewhere and have someone capable work on it.

Thanks!

• 9 months later...