Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 board racks - Uneven looking?

boardinchick3

I'm getting a 2022 A22 ordered and am debating how many board racks. I have 5 boards and therefore need 3 racks. Will the boat look weird and uneven with only 3? Should I get the 4th even though I won't have boards to fill it? 

20 minutes ago, Slayer said:

What about board storage in the bimin?  They offer that in Axis, correct?

My 2021 T23 is still en route, but was told there are straps for two surf boards on the bimini. Not sure they would have changed that for the new models.

Edited by gswatkins
Clarification

Yes, the bimini does have surfboard storage, but we won't always have the bimini up, so I'd like a more permanent option.

I have 3 racks on mine.  2 high and 1 low on the passenger side.   I like it!

Edit: wanted to add that I actually prefer the 3 racks over 4.  You have the extra storage but on the driver side it is still nice and open to talk to the rider.

Edited by theloungelife
Added details

My boat came with four racks, never used them all at once.  Looks symmetrical though.  As for the bimini storage... I have wanted to use that but fear the boards wouldn't be as secure or that I may not notice one (mainly the kids smaller board) flying away... Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, ReDxKiNG said:

My boat came with four racks, never used them all at once.  Looks symmetrical though.  As for the bimini storage... I have wanted to use that but fear the boards wouldn't be as secure or that I may not notice one (mainly the kids smaller board) flying away... Any thoughts?

They will fly away up there even "secured" during a long ride.... kids and adult boards alike.. My brother ripped my nephew a new one for losing his board.... then then next day one of the adult boards few off while we were cruising, luckily we saw it. Then we realized my nephew's board was last seen on the roof...to never been seen again. The story has a happy ending though. My nephew got a new surf board and wake board from his dad to even up the score.

His boat is a 2019 LSV 25 for reference. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Never lost a board off the Bimini yet. 

I always have the fins facing the bow of the boat. If it’s a quad, I put the strap closest to the bow between the front and rear fins, and then the stern strap in front of both sets.  

For a skim or board with single set of fins I put both straps behind the fins. The straps get pretty tight, so not sure how a board would blow off, but guess it could happen🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Dsalyers