Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this for power steering fluid?

Someone at the dealer told me that this was for power steering fluid.  Can anyone verify, because it seems like a really odd place for it.

Also, does it take standard automotive power steering fluid?

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

What does the text around it say?

Seastar use ???? Only

It says use Seastar only 

This is one of the dumbest placement of things I have seen in awhile. Anyone care to guess how this warranty claim drama gets started?

1. Spilled hydraulic fluid seeps in between the fill port and the glued on pleather on the dash and creates a god awful looking bubble. To add insult to injury that same fluid spills down on to the Seadek creating at the very least a god awful stain and most likely puckers the Seadek.
2. Spilled or overfilled hydraulic fluid some how manages to make its way inside of the supposedly weather proof high dollar screen necessitating replacement and the Seadek gets spanked.

Have wake boaters become that sissyfied that they need hydraulic steering now? :Doh:

I can’t say I have an issue with the power steering option as lots of options on these boats aren’t necessary.  But if that is really the fill cap, that is a terrible design.  

• Like 2

That threaded cap on the dash is the fill for the hydraulic steering system.  It is often part of the optional salt water package.  Instead of having a steering cable there is a hydraulic steering pump at the helm with hoses that go to a hydraulic steering actuator attached to the rudder arm at the stern.  There are optional electric power steering pumps available for the system, but I would be very surprised if your boat has one of those.  They are quite expensive.

Almost every boat powered by an outboard motor over 150 HP has a similar steering system.

Only use sea star hydraulic fluid in the system.  You can find more information at their website SEASTARSOLUTIONS.COM

10 hours ago, csleaver said:

That threaded cap on the dash is the fill for the hydraulic steering system.  It is often part of the optional salt water package.  Instead of having a steering cable there is a hydraulic steering pump at the helm with hoses that go to a hydraulic steering actuator attached to the rudder arm at the stern.  There are optional electric power steering pumps available for the system, but I would be very surprised if your boat has one of those.  They are quite expensive.

Almost every boat powered by an outboard motor over 150 HP has a similar steering system.

Only use sea star hydraulic fluid in the system.  You can find more information at their website SEASTARSOLUTIONS.COM

Thanks for the detailed response to confirm that this is the power steering fluid fill.  

FYI, I had removed the pressure release fitting at the end of the power steering hose and, somehow, didn't get it back on correctly which resulted in the fluid getting released into the bilge and loss of steering.  Another lesson learned the hard way.

2 hours ago, ScottBot said:

Thanks for the detailed response to confirm that this is the power steering fluid fill.  

FYI, I had removed the pressure release fitting at the end of the power steering hose and, somehow, didn't get it back on correctly which resulted in the fluid getting released into the bilge and loss of steering.  Another lesson learned the hard way.

It isn't power steering, it is hydraulic steering.  There are very specific steps involved in correctly bleeding the hydraulic system to make it work correctly if there was a leak.  It really takes two people to do it and the procedure is described on page 23 to 25.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/343319M.pdf

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Interesting choice of where to put that.  I can't understand why anyone thought that was a good location for fluid fill.

Highest point in the system to allow air to escape for a better purge I am guessing.

Just now, wdr said:

Highest point in the system to allow air to escape for a better purge I am guessing.

Makes complete sense, but why mess up the dash like that??  It's a well designed dash and then this?  Add that to the dislike thread.

Just now, wdr said:

You would think that a better spot would be in front of the windshield rather than in the vinyl.

• Like 2

As infrequently as the system would need to be serviced if ever, I would think there would be enough room under the dash somewhere to put that assembly. Behind the storage box above my sub and heater box has all kinds of room.  I am thinking one year of looking like an after thought before it gets moved in there. 

4 hours ago, csleaver said:

It isn't power steering, it is hydraulic steering.  There are very specific steps involved in correctly bleeding the hydraulic system to make it work correctly if there was a leak.  It really takes two people to do it and the procedure is described on page 23 to 25.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/343319M.pdf

You're right.  It's getting more complicated than just topping off the fluid.  I've been working out bubbles, but it still freezzes up sometimes when turning (I'm guessing that's just more bubbles somewhere).  I'll dig into the manual you referenced.  I think I'm close and that will help.