Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Misfire / Start Engine button does nothing

2014 Malibu Wakesetter MXZ 22 - LS3 6.2 

Back Story: Took it out this spring and unwinterized it. Went around the lake a few times and nothing wrong with the boat. Decided to change the coolant this year (partially) and let the coolant drain out of the heat exchanger and let it drain out the back. Filled the reservoir and bleed the system to where it's staying at 165 degrees. Once I took the boat back out, I was getting a misfire code on cylinder 6. I changed all the plugs, ordered new wires, switched coil packs with cylinder 8, pulled the fuel rail and cleaned all the injectors + ordered a new one for cylinder 6, spark tested the wires at .04MM gap, and compression checked all the cylinders (178ish PSI on all of them). I went through way more than 3 heat cycles +- 140 degrees on the coolant temp expecting it to clear the code (the engine runs perfectly fine from what I can tell). Took the boat to a friend and had him clear the codes to see if it came back after running it. Took the boat home and hooked up the fake a lake to run it for a few to see if it misfires and the start engine button does nothing at all, nor does the physical key. Everything else works fine. I did pull all the fuses in the engine compartment and verified they're good using a ohms test and rotated the larger relays around. Any ideas how clearing the codes would cause the start engine button to not work anymore?

The touch screen start and key switch use the CAN buss to send a start or stop signal to the ECM and the ECM determines if the starter relay should be energized.  This is called the auto crank or smart start.  If there is a short in any component connected to the CAN buss or an open in the circuit the smart start will not work.  Some of the components and connectors on the CAN buss are the Diacom diagnostic connector, boat harness to engine connector, boat harness to instrument connector, ECM, paddlewheel, depth transducer, GPS module, surf gate controller, viper module, primary power module, secondary power module, rear MUX control panel, mobile device module (bluetooth), and radio interface module.

If a faulty module is removed from the circuit or if a faulty connector or wire is repaired, then the CAN buss will work normally when the helm power is turned back on and the smart start will also work.  It may take some time to locate a faulty connection, wire or module.

9 hours ago, csleaver said:

The touch screen start and key switch use the CAN buss to send a start or stop signal to the ECM and the ECM determines if the starter relay should be energized.  This is called the auto crank or smart start.  If there is a short in any component connected to the CAN buss or an open in the circuit the smart start will not work.  Some of the components and connectors on the CAN buss are the Diacom diagnostic connector, boat harness to engine connector, boat harness to instrument connector, ECM, paddlewheel, depth transducer, GPS module, surf gate controller, viper module, primary power module, secondary power module, rear MUX control panel, mobile device module (bluetooth), and radio interface module.

If a faulty module is removed from the circuit or if a faulty connector or wire is repaired, then the CAN buss will work normally when the helm power is turned back on and the smart start will also work.  It may take some time to locate a faulty connection, wire or module.

The only thing I'm not understanding is how the boat started 10 times or so the day before, take it to get the codes cleared and it's dead. Is it just a weird coincidence or do you think this sounds like something it could have caused?

1 hour ago, WakeSkeeter said:

The only thing I'm not understanding is how the boat started 10 times or so the day before, take it to get the codes cleared and it's dead. Is it just a weird coincidence or do you think this sounds like something it could have caused?

It is entirely possible that the friend bent a pin or somehow otherwise shorted the CAN buss at the service port connector.  Check there for debris or obvious damage to the connector or pins.

• Like 2