Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New surf boat, which one...???

Maas

On 7/19/2021 at 8:04 AM, qbeam said:

Sorry, but this is wrong. The 240 does not dunk the bow, its better than the 23 LSV BY FAR.  And the wave, OMG you just add speed and it gets long and nice. Sorry, but Riggersurfer has not set up his boat optimally. You don't need more ballast. It already weights 7000 pounds dry and probably 7500 with gas. Not to mention the 4000 pounds of ballast in the tanks. If you are adding weight to this boat something is wrong. I've found that speeds of 12.5-12.8 lengthen the wake and remove the steepness. 

Funny the dealer didn't know that after driving it dozens of times. I guess I'll just have to go for another demo and test your recommendations! 

On 7/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

Funny the dealer didn't know that after driving it dozens of times. I guess I'll just have to go for another demo and test your recommendations! 

Speed has a big impact on this wave.

Edited by qbeam
On 7/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

It's possible your dealer doesn't really know what that boat will do nor how it does so.  Not surprised. 

1 hour ago, qbeam said:

Speed has a big impact on this wave.

I have to imagine it does.  That's a lot of boat and from what I understand, should be an absolute powerhouse.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, RiggSurfer said:

Just got my M240 a couple of weeks ago. I have had three previous Malibu's; two 23 LSV's and my last boat, a 25 LSV. Hate to say, especially after spending that much on the 240, but it just doesn't compare to the 25 LSV properly dialed. The 240 is not able to be dialed. It does NOT like lead, not does it want bags in the lockers. It seemingly has everything to do with the Integrated surf gates along with the hull design that makes the nose want to take on water. Simply put, it does not want to be weighted down any more than what it comes with out of the factory. If you put weight up front to bring the nose down, in an attempt to lengthen the wave, you will "wash the carpet" when your rider goes down and you back off the throttle. If you don't weigh down the front, it still wants to nose dive, and the wave is way too tall/steep. I have a lot of experience n dialing in these boats and the 240 in my opinion is not what I think Malibu intended for it to be. I am selling my boat after the summer and will likely buy a new 2022 25 LSV and get back to what i am used to. The 240 does not even come close to this!

This is interesting. I have also ridden both boats dozens of times (good friends have one of each, i have the m235) and the 25 LSV is much more likely to have water come over the nose and/or transom.  Both boats have a great wave which have basically the same wave profile.  My experience has been that you need extra ballast with the 25 lsv (PnP bags in addition to stock tanks), but the M does better without using PnP bags in the rear while only using stock tanks (too much rear weight forces the water line to be above the surfgate which makes the top of the wave trashy).  the 25lsv is also a bit more difficult to maneuver.  Feels like driving a bus. much wider turns to retrieve a fallen surfer.  You cant go wrong with either of them and everyones experience will differ slightly. 

On 8/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, Dfowkes said:

I've had several Malibu boats with my last 3 being 2016 25 LSV with Roush 575, a 2019 25 LSV M6DI,  current boat is M240 LT4 and that wave is hands down better than both my 25 LSV's.  Don't get me wrong my 25 LSV waves were very very good but the M240 is better. I bet the 2022 25LSV with the LT4 is not 50K cheaper then the 2022 M240 but I have not looked into pricing because I'm keeping my M240 for at least another year or two.  It's my favorite boat. You can definitely dial and tweak the wave.  Sorry I colored over person but I didn't get consent to post his pic from my M240.

IMG-0469 (1).jpg

IMG-6962.jpg

What settings are you using?

On 8/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, Dfowkes said:

I've had several Malibu boats with my last 3 being 2016 25 LSV with Roush 575, a 2019 25 LSV M6DI,  current boat is M240 LT4 and that wave is hands down better than both my 25 LSV's.  Don't get me wrong my 25 LSV waves were very very good but the M240 is better. I bet the 2022 25LSV with the LT4 is not 50K cheaper then the 2022 M240 but I have not looked into pricing because I'm keeping my M240 for at least another year or two.  It's my favorite boat. You can definitely dial and tweak the wave.  Sorry I colored over person but I didn't get consent to post his pic from my M240.

IMG-0469 (1).jpg

IMG-6962.jpg

That is one clean looking wave! But I wonder if it confirms my own dissatisfaction (possibly my inadequacy?) Far back it seems so steep that you have to ride in the trough or at least the lower part of the wave to maintain momentum. If I want to climb the wave to generate downhill speed how far forward do I have to ride? I would like to see the rest of the wave behind the surfer. Is there still enough push beyond the curl to generate enough board speed to get me to the high point of the wave? (right about where your rider's right hand is)  

Thanks for posting those pictures!

Edited by TwoMargaritasPlease
On 8/2/2021 at 8:49 AM, M235Ozark said:

This is interesting. I have also ridden both boats dozens of times (good friends have one of each, i have the m235) and the 25 LSV is much more likely to have water come over the nose and/or transom.  Both boats have a great wave which have basically the same wave profile.  My experience has been that you need extra ballast with the 25 lsv (PnP bags in addition to stock tanks), but the M does better without using PnP bags in the rear while only using stock tanks (too much rear weight forces the water line to be above the surfgate which makes the top of the wave trashy).  the 25lsv is also a bit more difficult to maneuver.  Feels like driving a bus. much wider turns to retrieve a fallen surfer.  You cant go wrong with either of them and everyones experience will differ slightly. 

My beloved 23LSV took dozens of waves over the bow. After 2 seasons my 25 hasn't been swamped once. Not saying it can't happen but I think you'd have to work at it. Transom? I'll pay you money if you can get water over my transom. 

Yes the 25 needs additional ballast, but I guess much depends on your passenger manifest. I run with no extra people, 550's in the rear, 750 pounds lead mid and fore. It definitely is sluggish to maneuver. Know thy boat and its paths of least resistance. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

If I want to climb the wave to generate downhill speed how far forward do I have to ride?

It is less about downhill but the length gives you room to "pump" the wave to generate speed.  With that length of wave you could easily generate enough speed to do any trick in the sweet spot of wave.  Plus the length gives you more recovery time if your execution is not perfect.

3 minutes ago, wakesonthesnake said:

It is less about downhill but the length gives you room to "pump" the wave to generate speed.  With that length of wave you could easily generate enough speed to do any trick in the sweet spot of wave.  Plus the length gives you more recovery time if your execution is not perfect.

I disagree. Pumping my butt off in the trough only makes me slightly faster than the boat. What's the point of a steep, tall wave if you can't use it? The length pictured is not very impressive. 

Of course we all have different styles and preferences. I personally did not do well on the 240. But I'm always a student and open to opinions/suggestions. Thanks for contributing.

2 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

That is one clean looking wave! But I wonder if it confirms my own dissatisfaction (possibly my inadequacy?) Far back it seems so steep that you have to ride in the trough or at least the lower part of the wave to maintain momentum. If I want to climb the wave to generate downhill speed how far forward do I have to ride? I would like to see the rest of the wave behind the surfer. Is there still enough push beyond the curl to generate enough board speed to get me to the high point of the wave? (right about where your rider's right hand is)  

Thanks for posting those pictures!

I have tons of pictures of all my waves I'll try to post them tomorrow if all goes well.  I'll try to post 16 25lsv, 19 25lsv, and 2020 M240

6 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

Far back it seems so steep that you have to ride in the trough or at least the lower part of the wave to maintain momentum. If I want to climb the wave to generate downhill speed how far forward do I have to ride?

That long wave is what people love about my 25. Everybody wants to ride right behind the 25. I have to tell them move back. I have tons of power to build speed without pumping. My best friend/riding partner does like a steeper wave. I just give him a click or two on the wedge. Then again he is the one nailing the 360’s 

4 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

My beloved 23LSV took dozens of waves over the bow. After 2 seasons my 25 hasn't been swamped once. Not saying it can't happen but I think you'd have to work at it. Transom? I'll pay you money if you can get water over my transom. 

My amateur drivers have taken a few over the bow. And my friends 24lsv put one over my pet side rear corner once. I was sacked heavy and couldn’t maneuver. 

3 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

I disagree. Pumping my butt off in the trough only makes me slightly faster than the boat. What's the point of a steep, tall wave if you can't use it?

I never have to pump out of the trough to build speed. 

I have never surfed a 240 but I have surfed a 19 25lsv and it was incredible.  I surf goofy so it seems I always get better waves than my regular footed friends.  I did not notice any significant bow drop, iirc there was some lead up in the bow and pnp bags in the rear lockers.  If I were in the market for a new boat I would likely go 25lsv.  If I’m spending 240 cash it would be really hard to choose between 240 or G25.  I think for $25-$40k less the 25lsv would get my money.  Seems like if you want the best wave on a Malibu - don’t just start throwing lead everywhere before you teach yourself how to ride that goofy footed wave, it’s always so nice on the starboard side 😉.

Edited by PNWoke

I spent a full day tweaking my friend's M240 wave.  What started as a short, steep wave with way too much push, turned into a nice long, short wave that had excellent push, and something I can only describe as depth.  You could be 6" into the wave, and still have the push needed to pop out.  

I got that wave by dropping the rear ballast to 50% non-surf side, 75% surf side, and speeding up to 12 MPH.  I don't remember the wedge setting.  

Bummed I missed my chance to compare it to the M220 wave this last weekend.  The Just Ride Tour came through my town, but the surf gate actuator went out 10 min before I was scheduled to ride it.

It really seems that the most recent hull designs don't need more than factory ballast with PNP to make a good wake, but need to be loaded biased towards the surf side.  This keeps coming up over and over.  Would like to think that even ballast could give optimal results so no tuning was necessary when switching sides but just not what people are saying.  Nor what I have found.

11 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

the surf gate actuator went out 10 min before I was scheduled to ride it

Every Malibu should come with a few spare actuators in the glove box.

• Haha 1

If I was running the tour that was demonstrating my boat of the year, I would definitely send a spare set in the glovebox.

Edited by bigskydoc