Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New surf boat, which one...???

Maas

Just sold my 2012 VLX and now I'm looking for a new boat.  Only two real options, Malibu and Nautique, as those are the two dealers in my city.  No point in getting anything else as I can't service it locally

For the Nautique I'm looking at the G25 2022 with the ZZ8 engine and the extra 1450 lbs in ballast

So my question is , which Malibu is the king of surf waves?  We surf 100% of the time, and no longer wakeboard, (my knees can't handle it anymore)

I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and need a wave which is thick long and with lots of push

Is the M240 the king?  Is something else better?  I've been looking and comparing the G25 to the M240, but my questions is, does another Malibu boat throw a better wave?  Should i be looking at another Malibu boat as well?

In my opinion M240 is king of the hill in Malibu's lineup.  Other option would be to look at the 2022 25 LSV, M240 will probably be beefier wave though.   I have not surfed behind any of the newer Nautique models, but I grew up behind them and appreciate their builds.  good call on the extra ballast,  in my limited reading I've heard the NSS likes that extra weight.  

I am 6' about 180-190 depending on the week. Have been behind an M240 wedge at 2, 11.6 mph, hard tanks full (no pnp bags, nice storage in the rear compartments).  Wave was incredible in my opinion, tons of volume and push.  

PROFILEPIC.jpg.7195155af44a474bcea2c93032b1e49b.jpg

I would try to demo both if you can.  They are the premier boats for each maker.  Some time behind the wheel and behind the boat should help.  Good luck. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Might take a look at the M220 also.

One of the sales guys at my dealer said the M220 is his favorite boat in the Malibu lineup.

@Maas Sounds like there is an update to the 2022 25 LSV which might be a game changer.  I think one of the threads mentioned it is 1,000 lbs heavier which probably makes a better and maybe even best wave in a Malibu boat.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Hemmy said:

One of the sales guys at my dealer said the M220 is his favorite boat in the Malibu lineup.

@Maas Sounds like there is an update to the 2022 25 LSV which might be a game changer.  I think one of the threads mentioned it is 1,000 lbs heavier which probably makes a better and maybe even best wave in a Malibu boat.

Your best bet is going to drive and get behind every one you are considering. That will make your decision for you.

On 6/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, 23LSVOwner said:

Your best bet is going to drive and get behind every one you are considering. That will make your decision for you.

Yup. I spent a couple years demoing the top models from the top brands. I think the dealers started rolling their eyes when they saw me coming.

All these boats get sold, so somebody loves them. But we all have our own preferences. I rode the M240 three times because I wanted to love it. It just wasn't the wave for me. I ended up with the 25LSV. It's got the wave I want.

Thanks for the info, hard part is that none of the dealers up here , i'm in Canada, have any boats, everything is sold out!!

Spoke to the dealers, and they can arrange a test down at the factories, however international travel right now from Canada is still all messed up.

I did hear about the 25lsv update, i'm wondering if they're going to completely revamp the model, I really like the freeboard of the M lines, doubt they would add that to the 25lsv

M240 or 25LSV

@TwoMargaritasPlease , what about the M240 wave was missing that the 25LSV fulfilled?

I never surfed behind a 240 but I can’t imagine it having much better wave than the 25lsvs I have surfed behind.  Like the nautique, the 25 lsv’s wave seem to get crazy big with the more weight in the boat, so get the extra big ballasts if you don’t roll with a crew of 10+ every day.  Last summer out on a friends 2018 25lsv with 12 adults and slammed ballast that wave was insane, so big my daredevil nephew wouldn’t even attempt a ride it.  Sounds like 2022 Malibu might’ve beefed up the 25’s hull so maybe the extra weight/ballast isn’t as necessary.  Good luck on your purchase I don’t think you can make a “wrong” choice with the options you have there. 

9 hours ago, Maas said:

Thanks for the info, hard part is that none of the dealers up here , i'm in Canada, have any boats, everything is sold out!!

Spoke to the dealers, and they can arrange a test down at the factories, however international travel right now from Canada is still all messed up.

I did hear about the 25lsv update, i'm wondering if they're going to completely revamp the model, I really like the freeboard of the M lines, doubt they would add that to the 25lsv

M240 or 25LSV

@TwoMargaritasPlease , what about the M240 wave was missing that the 25LSV fulfilled?

You should go read the thread here on the new 2022 25LSV.  It's got greater freeboard this year.  It's approximately 4-5" taller than the outgoing model.  Like @23LSVOwnersaid, you certainly should attempt to demo if at all possible.  Bummer you're in Canada and have all the draconian restrictions imposed upon you, otherwise you could be able to get Stateside and check one out.  

16 hours ago, Maas said:

I found it too steep and tall and kind of short in length. Not to say it couldn't be tweaked or I couldn't learn to ride it, but in 3 sessions I couldn't get it where I wanted, whereas the 25 was workable out of the box. Mine's a 2019 so I've had a couple seasons to dial it in to my liking. I was upgrading from a 23LSV which I loved, so it took me a couple years and several demos to be convinced that it would actually be an upgrade. I'm happy with it. 

Regarding other brands, I'm not a diehard Malibu loyalist, but I just didn't like the G25. I thought it had a small wave. I know a comment like that will draw some criticism but it's just my perception. Or maybe my riding style. I like to go a little faster than most. I appreciated being able to demo before choosing, so I feel your pain. 

16 hours ago, Maas said:

I don't believe air travel is restricted. What better way to spend a couple days than to be wowed by the factories?

23 hours ago, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

I don't believe air travel is restricted. What better way to spend a couple days than to be wowed by the factories?

It's not getting into the states, it's coming back, Canada still has a 2 week quarantine imposed on returning, unless you're fully vaxxed (starting july 4th fully vaxxed dont' have to quarantine)

I can't afford to quarantine for two weeks

I'll look into the 2022 25slv and see what the new changes are

Just got my M240 a couple of weeks ago. I have had three previous Malibu's; two 23 LSV's and my last boat, a 25 LSV. Hate to say, especially after spending that much on the 240, but it just doesn't compare to the 25 LSV properly dialed. The 240 is not able to be dialed. It does NOT like lead, not does it want bags in the lockers. It seemingly has everything to do with the Integrated surf gates along with the hull design that makes the nose want to take on water. Simply put, it does not want to be weighted down any more than what it comes with out of the factory. If you put weight up front to bring the nose down, in an attempt to lengthen the wave, you will "wash the carpet" when your rider goes down and you back off the throttle. If you don't weigh down the front, it still wants to nose dive, and the wave is way too tall/steep. I have a lot of experience n dialing in these boats and the 240 in my opinion is not what I think Malibu intended for it to be. I am selling my boat after the summer and will likely buy a new 2022 25 LSV and get back to what i am used to. The 240 does not even come close to this!

• Like 3
16 hours ago, RiggSurfer said:

Just got my M240 a couple of weeks ago. I have had three previous Malibu's; two 23 LSV's and my last boat, a 25 LSV. Hate to say, especially after spending that much on the 240, but it just doesn't compare to the 25 LSV properly dialed. The 240 is not able to be dialed. It does NOT like lead, not does it want bags in the lockers. It seemingly has everything to do with the Integrated surf gates along with the hull design that makes the nose want to take on water. Simply put, it does not want to be weighted down any more than what it comes with out of the factory. If you put weight up front to bring the nose down, in an attempt to lengthen the wave, you will "wash the carpet" when your rider goes down and you back off the throttle. If you don't weigh down the front, it still wants to nose dive, and the wave is way too tall/steep. I have a lot of experience n dialing in these boats and the 240 in my opinion is not what I think Malibu intended for it to be. I am selling my boat after the summer and will likely buy a new 2022 25 LSV and get back to what i am used to. The 240 does not even come close to this!

1st I have seen anywhere about that complaint.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2021 at 2:25 PM, RiggSurfer said:

Wow, that is revealing. I had a similar impression of the wave but didn't realize adjustments would be so difficult. Please keep us posted on any progress this summer. A $1/4M boat designed to make waves should not take on water.  

Great feedback here guys, seems like the new 25lsv may be the way to go, well, first year boat, always a gamble......

Just chatted with my dealer and they have a 2022 25lsv that is coming in august that i can demo, and i'm getting on a g25 paragon next week, so i dont need to travel to try the boats!!!

the 25lsv is 40k less than the m240 I priced as well.

the next question is the motors , would the M6Di be enough or do i need the LT4, I'm at sea level.  I'd normally go for the LT4 right away but in speaking to Malibu, they say the boat needs 93 octane which is a pain in the a** for me, all the marinas here have 91 and 93 would be far away.  I can use octane boost, but do they work well enough for long term use???

15 hours ago, Dsalyers said:

So if I recall correctly, the Manual recommends 93 for the M6 motor as well.

Recommended but not required.

It will run on 87, just not optimum for power.

• Like 2
On 7/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, shawndoggy said:

Not on point at all, BUT.... Last weekend I had eight people in our tiny T22.  I set up to surf as I usually would, but neglected to account for all the extra human ballast.  the boat would still hold my preferred surf speed of 11.2, but the wave was a giant wall.  Ended up dumping a bunch of rear ballast to get a nice long "barely over the knee" wave.  I find that if a wave is too big that the top half feels like pure vert and it's hard for me to air off of.  I do way better with a longer wave where I can accelerate with a pump or two and then pop at the lip without needing a huge speed-robbing bottom turn to get there.

Which I guess all goes to say that the "best" wave is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly see folks touting their "huge" short steep  wave with no room to move around.

Nailed it, exactly. We want to ride the whole wave. That's why I'm wondering, can the 240 be detuned to make that wall of water a little more user friendly?

Maas, I don't know if you've seen this comparison, just a little more fuel for the debate. Of course, this was pre-Paragon, and videos I've seen of the Paragon are pretty impressive. So let us know your thoughts after your demos.

Is Malibu the Best Wakesurf Boat? — Boarders Magazine

On 7/8/2021 at 9:07 AM, shawndoggy said:

Not on point at all, BUT.... Last weekend I had eight people in our tiny T22.  I set up to surf as I usually would, but neglected to account for all the extra human ballast.  the boat would still hold my preferred surf speed of 11.2, but the wave was a giant wall.  Ended up dumping a bunch of rear ballast to get a nice long "barely over the knee" wave.  I find that if a wave is too big that the top half feels like pure vert and it's hard for me to air off of.  I do way better with a longer wave where I can accelerate with a pump or two and then pop at the lip without needing a huge speed-robbing bottom turn to get there.

Which I guess all goes to say that the "best" wave is in the eye of the beholder. I certainly see folks touting their "huge" short steep  wave with no room to move around.

I was going to comment on this the other day. I had a small crew in the boat over the 4th. Everyone else had rode and I got behind the boat, same setting as the other riders on goofy side. These are the same setting I have used all year. The first two runs down the wave I buried the front of the board. So on the next time up I started moving the wedge towards lift. All the sudden the wave lengthened and I was able to actually ride faster and play more. For some reason the wave was ultra steep this day. Maybe it had to do with tide movement. I dont know.  My buddy loves that short steep wave, I hate it.

• Like 2
On 7/8/2021 at 9:10 AM, TwoMargaritasPlease said:

Wow, that is revealing. I had a similar impression of the wave but didn't realize adjustments would be so difficult. Please keep us posted on any progress this summer. A $1/4M boat designed to make waves should not take on water.  

Sorry, but this is wrong. The 240 does not dunk the bow, its better than the 23 LSV BY FAR.  And the wave, OMG you just add speed and it gets long and nice. Sorry, but Riggersurfer has not set up his boat optimally. You don't need more ballast. It already weights 7000 pounds dry and probably 7500 with gas. Not to mention the 4000 pounds of ballast in the tanks. If you are adding weight to this boat something is wrong. I've found that speeds of 12.5-12.8 lengthen the wake and remove the steepness. 

On 7/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Recommended but not required.

It will run on 87, just not optimum for power.

GM started doing that over a decade ago.  Design their engines for premium fuel, rate them for premium fuel, and put a comment about it in the owner's manual.  That said, it is actually more critical for optimum torque than power.  At higher RPM, the engine won't be as prone to pre-ignition as it will under full load at lower RPM.  In other words, right where you will be when surfing is where the premium fuel will be most helpful.