Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Torsion Axle Needed

cachesurf

Does anyone have a good source to potentially find an in-stock torsion axle from my 2008 Extreme trailer?  Its a UFP/Dexter axle, but lead times are proving outrageous from Dexter.  We just had to cancel our week-long vacation at the lake since we can't trailer the boat right now.

1 hour ago, cachesurf said:

Does anyone have a good source to potentially find an in-stock torsion axle from my 2008 Extreme trailer?  Its a UFP/Dexter axle, but lead times are proving outrageous from Dexter.  We just had to cancel our week-long vacation at the lake since we can't trailer the boat right now.

etrailer.com.

Thanks, but etrailer.com doesn't have this specific of an axle.  Both my mechanic and I have repeatedly tried to call Extreme Trailers and can't reach a live person or get a call back, which is very frustrating.  I did find a company called Friedl Axles that is located near the Dexter/UFP factory in CA that makes versions of those axles in 12 days.  I was hoping to find one in stock and salvage some of my vacation, but at least I'll be able to fix it for the rest of the summer.

1 minute ago, dalt1 said:

You can weld them solid till replacements are ready. I had to do that on my 2006 when it sprung a torsion. Put hundreds of miles on it before I got replacements.

image.thumb.png.ae7a5d8669b1dadd49ae70110627bdaa.png

• Like 3
On 6/29/2021 at 4:51 PM, dalt1 said:

You can weld them solid till replacements are ready. I had to do that on my 2006 when it sprung a torsion. Put hundreds of miles on it before I got replacements.

Or buy standard spring axles and weld them to a piece of 2x2 angle and bolt them. However this was not inexpensive. I ran them for about 4 months. Before I got the time to install the replacement 

Hijacking a little.

Just got a call from a friend. His 05 boatmate trailer has a broken torsion component. Does one need a new axle or just the torsion part?  If welding, what am I welding?  

Thanks

1 hour ago, footndale said:

So answering my own question, it looks like the axle it self breaks and the weld is between the arm and axle tube.

From @dalt1 post in 2018

image.thumb.png.c0eeace98d4d87e6ffa4ee99

The rubber inside the axle tube(can't see it) holds a splined axle. the rubber eventually lets go of the spline and the axle stays in the up position. This weld will have to be ground back off to move the arm to the new assembly. All in all not a bad job. I was on my way to a lake vacation 120 miles away when it let loose only 2 miles into my trip. Came back home, made a few calls and got this suggestion. Pulled out the welder and was on my way in a couple hours after the failure. Hauled it 600 miles that way before new axles were acquired.  Could not tell any difference towing that way either.

• 2 weeks later...

They are all custom.  I welded mine.  With the amount of cushion in the tires, it really doesn't ride too bad.

Probably put 500+ miles on mine before my new ones showed up.

Reach out to dexter (UPF parent), they are warranting many of the torsion axles.  Mine were 12 years old, and they replaced at no cost.  

If you do this, i HIGHLY recommend buying new outer swing arms (with bearings, brakes) from them directly.  Prices are killer, and then you are good for another 5-10 yrs.  

• 3 weeks later...

One of my torsion axles let go last weekend.  Luckily, my stock wheels fit inside the fender and it didn't cut my tire up.    I did eventually get ahold of someone from Extreme.  They, like everyone right now, are extremely understaffed.  They told me that these axles are only good for 8-10 years.  They had two 4k axles for $465 each in stock that I am "trying" order, though three days later still waiting for an invoice to pay for them.  UPF wouldn't help me and they wouldn't sell to anyone not a distributer.  If anyone has a good contact at UPF, please pass it along.  

8 hours ago, Slaney said:

One of my torsion axles let go last weekend.  Luckily, my stock wheels fit inside the fender and it didn't cut my tire up.    I did eventually get ahold of someone from Extreme.  They, like everyone right now, are extremely understaffed.  They told me that these axles are only good for 8-10 years.  They had two 4k axles for $465 each in stock that I am "trying" order, though three days later still waiting for an invoice to pay for them.  UPF wouldn't help me and they wouldn't sell to anyone not a distributer.  If anyone has a good contact at UPF, please pass it along.  

Been a few years but this is the # at UFP I used. 931 967 5101.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost out on a trip last month due to failure 2 days before my trip. I tried to go through UFP directly but no luck anymore w/ free replacements due to mine being an 2002. Pacific Trailers in Chino Ca was cheaper but 2 week longer lead time. Went through Shadow Trailer in Cypress CA and got mine in 3 weeks. Just slapped it on yesterday and just need to do the brake lines/bleed. 

I also didn’t have any luck with UFP.  I went through Extreme and after a week going back and forth with them, I got two new axles delivered.  Going to rattle can paint them and install next week.   

Edited by Slaney
  • 2 years later...
cmars50070
On 8/6/2021 at 12:39 PM, Slaney said:

They told me that these axles are only good for 8-10 years.  

Ugh.  We just experienced a torsion axle failure on our 08 Response LXI trailer on our way to Winter Haven for a week of skiing.  Wish I would have known this bit of information as replaced everything else and would have gladly replaced the entire axle before our trip.  Considered welding but with 2,000+ miles to go on a single axle it didn't make sense risking a blowout and further damage.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Boat and trailer are still in TN waiting on a new axle.  Posting for anyone else who has an older torsion axle trailer.  

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, footndale said:

Bummer, but I would of welded and continued to Winter Haven and then had if fixed there.

I second that. I towed mine for a month after I welded it and had no issues at all. You will have to grind the weld back off when making the repair.

cmars50070

You're both probably right.  I wasn't sure how everything would hold up on a single axle.  Lead time for a new axle was 3 weeks so played it safe and rented a 2020 Prostar while in FL.  Knowing it wasn't going to be a quick fix, a return trip from Iowa to Knoxville sounded way more feasible than IA->FL trip. 

• Like 2