Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to get into used Axis A20/A22 - have beat on 2013 A22 Vandall edition

TommyTuna

I'm an old school bowrider owner ready to make jump into wake surfing and tow boat world.   I really like the Axis line and the no frills approach and pricing.  I'd like to start with a used boat and perhaps upgrade in a few years once kids are bigger.

I have a beat on a very nicely decked out 2013 A22 Vandall edition - it checks boxes on weight, size and price.

It has the Monsoon 350 (400 hours) and owner added GSA tabs to go with wedge. He shared pics of surf wave and it looked pretty amazing. 

Question: is there anything to watch out for in this model year?  anything i should look for when inspecting the boat? i get features/tech will be behind the newer gen but i'm also probably paying half of what a new boat would cost.

What did the "vandall" bring aside from cool paint job?

I have a 2013 A22.  Great boat!  Love the upgraded ballast tube size and dash.  Only issue I had on mine was the original ext cats overheated.  Note this was the LS3 engine.  I ended up replacing them 2 years ago and have been fine since.  Otherwise just normal maintainence.

Alas i made mistake of going to see a new A20 in the showroom.  Of course dealer gave me all sorts of reasons to go new especially the 5 year warranty and cost of repairs outside warranty.  

Yeah it all comes down to features + warranty + price.  On the A20, do you think it'll be enough room for the type of boating you're looking to do?

On 7/1/2021 at 8:22 AM, TommyTuna said:

Alas i made mistake of going to see a new A20 in the showroom.  Of course dealer gave me all sorts of reasons to go new especially the 5 year warranty and cost of repairs outside warranty.  

if price is right i would do the vandall with GSA, and there is nothing to worry about with monsoon 350.  there is zero technology to go wrong on this MY, no surfgate, no black box, already has the ext cat plumbing which will allow you to list the boat and not burn up cats 

AND, one of the coolest boats ever

and much cooler looking tower though more inconvenient to store 

Edited by granddaddy55