Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trying to troubleshoot some battery issues on 1997 Echelon lx

So the past two weekends I have gone out, both batteries have been dead after sitting a week in storage. Needing some advice on how best to troubleshoot this problem.

- I run a dual battery setup, the perco switch in "Off position" will only charge the starter battery and isolate the accessory battery under the dash that all 3 of my amps are wired to (Amps turn on through dash accessory switches). I use this position when anchored listening to music as it is supposed to just drain the accessory/amp battery. Also the alternator was upgraded by the previous owner.

- Sometimes on the water when I turn the key to start the boat there is a few second delay from the starter, I figured this might be contributed to the starter battery not having a good charge, but also sometimes I'll turn the key and all I get is a loud audible "Click". And it takes a couple tries to get the starter to crank the engine.

- After wakeboarding for a few hours we anchored and turned boat off, although the starter was a bit delayed when starting, the boat did start like it should. I had been charging both batteries for two hours at this point.

-I didnt start having this issue until I installed my SUB/AMP, Interior speakers/amp, and some LEDs that have pos/neg leads directly off the battery.

Is it possible that I have a short somewhere in my new wiring that is causing the accessory battery to drain? The only thing I could think of is the led wiring is touching the carpet, but doesn't seem likely. The accessory battery is a generic O-reilly battery that has a 2018 sticker on it, Also the Starter battery, an Optima blue deepstart agm battery is from 2018 as well. I heard the optima batteries should last much longer than 3 years though.

Is it possible the starter is draining the battery and drawing current somehow? From my records and previous owners, the starter has never been replaced.

Sorry if post is so long but I didn't want to just go spend 700 bucks on two batteries and a brand new starter if I didnt need to.

1 hour ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

I didnt start having this issue until I installed my SUB/AMP, Interior speakers/amp, and some LEDs that have pos/neg leads directly off the battery.

Disconnect these things one by one until you find the culprit.  It is most likely that your amplifiers are in standby rather than turned off.  You may need to wire in a second power switch to kill the power to them.

Your starter probably needs a rebuild to restore full power.  It probably has rust and carbon buildup inside.  You can do it yourself or have a starter shop do it.  If you prefer, you could replace it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went through all my amps after a full battery charge, none were in standby mode and i was able to charge the battery to low 13V. 

Inspected the starter connections and found lots of corrosion, tried cleaning it up a bit and took the boat out for a cruise. Monitored the battery power as we sat anchored and the battery kept 12.7 volts after a few hours, went to start up and received 4 failed attempts (clicks from solenoid but no starter power, 5th time the engine turned over very slowly and started after holding key in the start position a few seconds). 

Cleaning the starter connections is going to be a huge pain in that tight spot

I had the starter issue.  I turned the key and could hear clicking but no start. I felt around and located the clicking sound. It was under the MEFI box attached to the transmission.

Turns out there is an 80 amp marine relay under the MEFI box mounted next to the 50 amp circuit breaker (with the red reset button).  The relay was rusted from my leaky shaft seal.

$30.00 part  PCM Starter Relay Solenoid R130001.  

Your starter battery is a deep cycle AGM and should be 13.7 volts when fully charged.  Your Accessory battery sounds like it is a standard wet cell which should be around 12.7 volts when fully charged.  Instead of charging your batteries for 2 hours, your wet cell was draining your AGM battery. 

I have had some issues with AGMs (self inflicted). They are great batteries but need to have their charged maintained.  Mine was a year old and I left it in the boat over the winter.  It got cold and spent some time in the 20s with a low charge...It was toast this season and could only recover to 75%.  I keep it as a spare but bought a new one. 

Your battery isolator circuit sounds like you did it correctly just needs two compatible batteries.

Thanks moondawg, ill check those out. Im sure my battery is shot then, the other battery is a deep cycle traditional battery also. I figured the auto store could load test the agm as well to confirm

19 hours ago, MoonDawg said:

I had the starter issue.  I turned the key and could hear clicking but no start. I felt around and located the clicking sound. It was under the MEFI box attached to the transmission.

Turns out there is an 80 amp marine relay under the MEFI box mounted next to the 50 amp circuit breaker (with the red reset button).  The relay was rusted from my leaky shaft seal.

$30.00 part  PCM Starter Relay Solenoid R130001.  

If the solenoid failed could you not jump a battery to the pos/neg on the starter while cranking the key over?

Just Had my batteries tested, my agm starter has only 30cca but reserve capacity is there. The deep start traditional battery has no reserve capacity but the crank amps are there. Guy at autostore suggested swapping the batteries around... Seems logical but also playing with fire

30 CCA is pretty low. If I remember correctly there was supposed to be around 750 CCA out of an Optima Blue Top battery. I would pull out the wallet and buy two new batteries.

I went to Batteries Plus recently to buy batteries for my motor home.  I purchased the X2s [SLI34AGMDPM], cost an arm and leg but sure spun my Diesel engine up in the winter with 880 CCA x 2 batteries).

And you may actually be able to get some warranty out of Batteries Plus. I have never gotten any satisfaction trying to get my friendly local auto parts to honor a warranty on an Optima.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:03 PM, MoonDawg said:

30 CCA is pretty low. If I remember correctly there was supposed to be around 750 CCA out of an Optima Blue Top battery. I would pull out the wallet and buy two new batteries.

I went to Batteries Plus recently to buy batteries for my motor home.  I purchased the X2s [SLI34AGMDPM], cost an arm and leg but sure spun my Diesel engine up in the winter with 880 CCA x 2 batteries).

And you may actually be able to get some warranty out of Batteries Plus. I have never gotten any satisfaction trying to get my friendly local auto parts to honor a warranty on an Optima.

I took the advice and also elsewhere on this forum. I went with two wet cell batteries from advanced auto, 200 bucks out the door, a 20$ starter relay. Put it all in the boat Saturday and ran no problem.

The unfortunate part about all this is someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the Bu this week. It now has a new owner! Probably buying a 2007+ wakesetter or response next year!