Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water coming in through starter, yah the starter

Went to take out my '04 Malibu Wakesetter LSV and noticed an excessive amount of water in the engine compartment. Once the bilge pump did it's thing, I didn't see or hear any water coming in, but with  the engine running, it became apparent water was coming in through the bottom of the engine block. I found water coming out of the starter!  How the heck can water be coming from between the starter and the engine fly wheel!! The starter is working fine.

Maybe a crack in the engine block or casting plugs from freeze damage?  Just a guess.  Is this the first time the boat has been run this season?

Rear freeze plug in the bellhousing area my guess. There may be an inspection plate to get you some viewing? 

Steve B.

It's been used some, but it makes sense it's a freeze plug. I just patched another one on the exhaust manifold. Rust has been making those areas wear thin and make holes in the freeze plugs. It threw me off because it doesn't leak without it running.
This one isn't going to be easy to get to. I assume this one is likely on the engine block. 

Thanks for the assessment.