Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help! Newb Wake Surfer

Malibumichigan23

I’m trying to figure all of this out and could use some help. Here’s a video. I’m not a small person. Am I too close to the boat?  Should I change the settings?  I’m at 10.5 mph with everything at 100% other then the rear right ballast. Thanks for the help as usual everyone. 

3B5A56D2-C79A-4AD7-9632-AB998FA135C1.png

E3530546-F0FF-49B1-BE92-73CEDDFB1F3E.png

26 minutes ago, Malibumichigan23 said:

I’m trying to figure all of this out and could use some help. Here’s a video. I’m not a small person. Am I too close to the boat?  Should I change the settings?  I’m at 10.5 mph with everything at 100% other then the rear right ballast. Thanks for the help as usual everyone. 

3B5A56D2-C79A-4AD7-9632-AB998FA135C1.png

E3530546-F0FF-49B1-BE92-73CEDDFB1F3E.png

Your video posted as a picture.
Do you have the pnp bags filled in the rear? If not, I would fill them up.  If you don’t have them, you should drop the wedge down to about two.
Increase your speed a little bit. I would go at least 10.8 - 11.  The weight in the back will help steepen the wake while the speed will make the wake longer which will help get you a little further back from the boat. Finding that sweet spot is a combination of gas and break. If you slow up to get further behind the boat and wait too long to shift your weight back forward, you will lose the sweet spot. Always keep your shoulders parallel to the face of the wake and keep the edge of the surf board in the wake a little to help maintain that push.

Try to get your video posted and that will help others help you more. Keep trying and practicing and you will figure it out. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

As Hemmy is saying, it would be good to play around and get your wave dialed in more before getting behind the boat. I see you have a 2020 23 LSV so your setup can help create a wave with more push than what the pic shows.

Being on a river, make sure speed control is set on paddlewheel, not GPS. Keep the starboard rear/PNP at 50%, with everything else full. You’ll want to be at 10.8-11. Play with the wedge a bit to see what 3-4 does to the wave shape. You probably can’t get it past 3-4 without parking someone in the bow. You can tell you have too much wedge for your speed/overall setup when the water spilling over the surfgate washes out the wave, like in the first pic.

Front foot gas, back foot brake and don’t be in a hurry to drop the rope once you start getting it slack.

A little more toe-side weight on your front foot can do wonders too, helping the board to be cutting into the wave, rather than pushing away. Creep your foot closer to the edge with a toe crawl once you’re set up on the board.

• Thanks 1