Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5di Engine stall during acceleration

I've got a 2020 axis t22 with a M5di engine, just got it delivered brand new this march.

For the first 70 hrs, the engine ran like a champ. Then it got to a point, when it start to stall for no reason when i am accelerating from idle to surf speed.

It happens at around 1500-2000 rpm during acceleration to surf speed (which should be around 3500rpm), the engine just cut, then the service engine and MIL comes on with a long bee alarm. Then I just turn the key all the way off and restart, and every thing was fine. There are times that this happened 10 times a day and there are times that it ran all day with no problem.

The fault codes I found was inactive:

spn 4237 fmi 0

spn 4239 fmi 0

So far, I have my O2 sensors cleaned, fuel filter changed, fuel pump filter changed trying to solve this problem, but it still continue to happen at random.

Does anyone have any idea about this? Any suggestions would be helpful, Thanks.

Those codes indicate that there is a fuel lean condition in engine bank 1 and 2.  It is often caused by low fuel pressure, a stuck closed fuel injector, an exhaust or intake leak, or faulty O2 sensors.

A poor electrical connection can also cause this issue, especially a grounding problem.  I would recommend first checking the main battery cable and harness ground connection on the port side of the engine at the bell housing.  I find those are often very loose.

Many 2020 M5 and M6 engines require an ECM recalibration to help with fuel scaling, or allowing the engine to run properly when switching between different octane fuel.  It is recommended to use premium fuel whenever possible.  Check with your dealer to see if bulletin MY20.SB05.0506 applies to your engine and if the calibration needs to be done.

4 hours ago, csleaver said:

Those codes indicate that there is a fuel lean condition in engine bank 1 and 2.  It is often caused by low fuel pressure, a stuck closed fuel injector, an exhaust or intake leak, or faulty O2 sensors.

A poor electrical connection can also cause this issue, especially a grounding problem.  I would recommend first checking the main battery cable and harness ground connection on the port side of the engine at the bell housing.  I find those are often very loose.

Many 2020 M5 and M6 engines require an ECM recalibration to help with fuel scaling, or allowing the engine to run properly when switching between different octane fuel.  It is recommended to use premium fuel whenever possible.  Check with your dealer to see if bulletin MY20.SB05.0506 applies to your engine and if the calibration needs to be done.

Thank you for your reply, I will definitely have a look at the ground connection first.

I have asked the dealer to check if the ECM required any recalibration. 

Also, please note that the engine runs perfectly fine at high rpm, cause every time we out it has a 10min high speed run from the dock to the spot where we boarding or surfing.

While checking the ground cables, also check the nearby main power post on the port stringer near the transmission mount.  It connects the cable from the battery switch to the starter cable and to the aft power systems.  I often find that one tends to also be loose.

• 1 month later...