Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY oil change


Recommended Posts

Just curious how difficult is a basic oil change. It is a 3 hr trip for me to go pick up the boat and take to dealer so wondering if a basic oil change is something I can do myself. I do have experience wrenching on cars and whatever tools necessary (unless special tools required)

2009 23LSV Monsoon motor

Link to post
Baggerlance

I did my 99 VLX a few weeks ago for the first time. Easy Peasy with one of these oil suction doodads

I ran the oil drain hose out the transom drain plug hole and hooked it up to the extractor. It drained in a few minutes and then I took a plastic baggy, put it over the oil filter and unscrewed it. The only hassle was putting the oil drain hose from the oil pan out the transom hole. Have to unscrew the hose end cap before putting through the transom drain hole, so a few drops of oil had to be cleaned up.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
3 hours ago, Baggerlance said:

I ran the oil drain hose out the transom drain plug hole and hooked it up to the extractor. It drained in a few minutes

 

So you sucked the oil out the drain hose? Why not let it gravity drain?

Link to post
Baggerlance
28 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

So you sucked the oil out the drain hose? Why not let it gravity drain?

I tried that prior to getting the extractor and got about 2 ounces of oil out the hose, then drip, drip...drip. Would have taken forever.

Link to post
5 hours ago, KNebrig said:

Just curious how difficult is a basic oil change. It is a 3 hr trip for me to go pick up the boat and take to dealer so wondering if a basic oil change is something I can do myself. I do have experience wrenching on cars and whatever tools necessary (unless special tools required)

2009 23LSV Monsoon motor

You've got experience with cars, so you'll be fine then.  Only thing I would recommend is looking at a oil filter relocation kit.  It really made the worst part of the oil change so easy.  Also, great advice about using bag of some kind for the filter.  Once you start working on your boat, you'll likely not take it to the shop again unless it's something major.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I also use a suction device very similar to Baggerlance's.  Works best if engine is warm.  But, I simply put one of those oil-absorption towels in my port-side storage (v-drive) and place the suction canister there on top of it.  

To remove the oil, I've always used the oil pan drain hose to suction from [after reading several reports here of the suction hose getting stuck or sheered off when advanced through the dipstick channel (probably a rare occurrence, but potentially a significant problem that can be easily avoided)].  When I unscrew the brass cap on the drain hose, since I am always holding it well above the level of the pan, no oil spills out.  

When removing the suction tubing from the drain hose, I wrap a shop towel around it to soak up oil as it is slowly pulled out.  With just a little effort to keep the tip of the tubing from flicking a dab of oil as it completely clears the drain hose, and having a plastic garbage bag readily available to coil the tubing into, it's not too difficult to avoid making a mess.  Works well for me, anyway.  YMMV.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Baggerlance
4 hours ago, srab said:

I also use a suction device very similar to Baggerlance's.  Works best if engine is warm.  But, I simply put one of those oil-absorption towels in my port-side storage (v-drive) and place the suction canister there on top of it.  

I may do it in the boat next time, but since it was my first time using the extractor I felt more comfortable outside the boat. The extractor is pretty cool. Not only is it fast, but very clean to use. I justified the investment in that I could use it for other vehicles, as well as saving money that would otherwise go to the repair shop.

I would probably think twice about shoving the small tube down the dip stick hole, but depends on the situation.

Link to post
13 hours ago, Baggerlance said:

I would probably think twice about shoving the small tube down the dip stick hole, but depends on the situation.

Lots of stories here about folks losing part of the tube for whatever reason...gets expensive quick, so be careful. 

To each his own, but I just gravity drain the oil into a catch pan.

  • Like 3
Link to post

Thanks for all the advice- I think I will try it and get the suction pump. I was very happy to see that my oil filter is mounted on the engine compartment above the motor- makes it very easy to get to.

Link to post

Thanks oldjeep- curious as to what I would need to get from Home Depot that would allow me to connect to the drain line. My pump has not arrived yet and would like to have parts on hand when it does. Thanks 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, KNebrig said:

Thanks oldjeep- curious as to what I would need to get from Home Depot that would allow me to connect to the drain line. My pump has not arrived yet and would like to have parts on hand when it does. Thanks 

hose barb to 1/4 NPT  adapter and a hose clamp

Link to post

I just gravity feed.  My boat lives in the garage, so I do it overnight, but it really isn't that slow.  Try opening the oil filler cap, and it will flow better, especially if the oil is warm.

For the filter, I remove it with a one gallon ziplock bag to avoid spills. 

For me, the hardest part is snaking the drain line from where it is on the side of the engine, down through the through-hull fitting to drain the oil. Now I put a flashlight down where the hole is to get me a better target of where I am trying to feed it.

I'm not someone who enjoys working on the boat, but this is so easy it is really, really hard for me to justify paying someone else to do it.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...