Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fire Extinguisher Mount and Location

zhuskers1

We just received our new 2021 23 LSV.  We did not order the fire suppression system.   Curious- where do you mount or store your fire extinguisher??   Thanks!!

Any of the officials in my area would not like the fire extinguisher behind any doors or seats. It would need to be at reach without opening anything.

Not trying to split hairs, but I occasionally run across people to include LE types who don’t actually know the regs/law. In this instance I had an LEO try to tell me my disposable extinguisher was not charged enough because it was indicating on the short side of the green mark. I don’t have a deep enough or tall enough foot well to safely put it there on my ‘19. I put mine where it is so it won’t become a missile or otherwise get tossed out of the boat. It also knowledge common to all so no problem there. Your attitude about it on first contact with LEO has a lot to do with whether you get cited or not.

The current USCG requirement is:

U .S . Coast Guard-approved ex-
tinguishers required for boats are
hand-portable, have either B-I or B-II
classification, and must be provided with
a mounting bracket . While not required,
it is recommended that the extinguish-
ers be mounted in a readily accessible
location . Consider locations where the
extinguisher can be reached easily; for example, at or near the steering station or in the galley or engine room, but away from locations where a fire may likely start .

Timing of this thread is on point.  Was planning on mounting mine this morning as it's been carried in my tool bag under the observers seat for the last two outings.  Ironically the location where "wdr" mounted his is pretty much the only spot that works for my 18 LSV. 

Observers compartment on the rear face of the box that the charger sits on. I have the extinguisher raised about 1/4” above the deck to keep crud from collecting under and behind it.

ahopkins22LSV
22 hours ago, wdr said:

Not trying to split hairs, but I occasionally run across people to include LE types who don’t actually know the regs/law. In this instance I had an LEO try to tell me my disposable extinguisher was not charged enough because it was indicating on the short side of the green mark. I don’t have a deep enough or tall enough foot well to safely put it there on my ‘19. I put mine where it is so it won’t become a missile or otherwise get tossed out of the boat. It also knowledge common to all so no problem there. Your attitude about it on first contact with LEO has a lot to do with whether you get cited or not.

The current USCG requirement is:

U .S . Coast Guard-approved ex-
tinguishers required for boats are
hand-portable, have either B-I or B-II
classification, and must be provided with
a mounting bracket . While not required,
it is recommended that the extinguish-
ers be mounted in a readily accessible
location . Consider locations where the
extinguisher can be reached easily; for example, at or near the steering station or in the galley or engine room, but away from locations where a fire may likely start .

Just make sure to double check your local requirements too. State law can state something different. Michigan law states that they are to not be mounted in a closed compartment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1