Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 doesnt start

Hi!

it is my 4th season with a 2004 Wakesetter 21 XTI. Up to now without troubles. Since a few days now i have problems with the motor starting. We put the boat into the water and go out, fill the ballast and ride. After 4-5 times stopping and starting the engine it wont go on again and we have to call someone to pull us back or paddle back ;-) when i turn the key over to ignition nothing happens - starter wont crank. First i checked the safety lanyard, gear shift in neutral, enginge circuit breaker, main circuit breaker ... thought it might be the battery so i charged it over night. Next day same problem - first it started without problems but after a few times starting and stopping it wont go on again. So i charged the battery again over night. Next day i hooked it up to a hose to do some testing, it didnt start. I connected the startercable of my car to the boats battery, didnt start. I changed the battery, didnt start.  After a few trys i put some contact spray on the positive line of the starter and it started again. Dont know if this was a coincidence? With the motor running i checked the alternator charging the battery and i measured like 14V at the alternator and on the battery so this is probably not the problem.

anybody has some advise for me? thx a lot

It is time to clean the electrical connections.  This doesn't mean just look at them and say they are clean; remove each one and clean it, then make sure it is tight when you put it back.  Do the battery, starter, alternator, and the engine grounds at both heads.  After that, pull the Cannon plug from the side of the engine and make sure that the contacts are clean.  If yours has the round split pins, gently spread them before you reinstall the connector.  While you are at it, consider diving under the dash and cleaning every connection you can find under there as well.  Putting a small dab of grease on each connection as you put things back together will help keep oxygen away.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justgary said:

It is time to clean the electrical connections.  This doesn't mean just look at them and say they are clean; remove each one and clean it, then make sure it is tight when you put it back.  Do the battery, starter, alternator, and the engine grounds at both heads.  After that, pull the Cannon plug from the side of the engine and make sure that the contacts are clean.  If yours has the round split pins, gently spread them before you reinstall the connector.  While you are at it, consider diving under the dash and cleaning every connection you can find under there as well.  Putting a small dab of grease on each connection as you put things back together will help keep oxygen away.

This has solved my problem once or twice, and yes, the terminals did look clean. Only other causes, key switch, neutral interlock, cranking slave relay, starter's solenoid or starter motor itself. In that electrical order.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Just to be clear, are you saying when you get the problem, the starter does not energize?

How old is your starter?

I dont know how old the starter is. Probably the original one. The boat is out of 2004 and i bought it 4 years ago. The last days when this issue appeared i turned on the ignition but the starter didnt do anything.
Today i was out the whole day on the water again and the issue didnt show up. Everything was running fine. So maybe its really a connection issue and the contact spray did its job. I now will definitely clean all the connections and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, justgary said:

It is time to clean the electrical connections.  This doesn't mean just look at them and say they are clean; remove each one and clean it, then make sure it is tight when you put it back.  Do the battery, starter, alternator, and the engine grounds at both heads.

Excellent advice...include the master switch if installed.

1 hour ago, tvano said:

there are 3 relays(ign, starter, fuel pump) mounted near the ecm and all are alike.

swap them around and see if your failure mode changes.

If it appears again i will try thx

just came back from cleaning connections. A few of them, especially on the starter side were pretty corroded. Also the ignition cable was not sitting toooo tight. 

Edited by Screwdriver

Red neck starter check if it happens again - have someone hold key in start position and tap starter with a hammer - if it comes to life replace the starter.

53 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

Red neck starter check if it happens again - have someone hold key in start position and tap starter with a hammer - if it comes to life replace the starter.

Be very careful doing this with modern (small diameter) starters.  They have rare earth magnets, and a good whack with a hammer will crack them.  Just a few taps should tell you if the starter is full of carbon.

Been dealing with starter problem as well today.  When turning the key over just get one click with a fully charged battery.  Tried to bench test the starter, got the solenoid to engage but starter did not spin. I'm not really sure I can test it that way through the solenoid?

Did notice the last couple days the boat was not starting immediately as it always has.  Thinking I need a new starter/ solenoid.

Edited by KDCr7

I should mention I have gone through and cleaned and tightened connections throughout the boat this spring. 

Checked voltage of battery, starter/ solenoid at rest as well as with ignition turned. 12.7 volts at all points.

Tried tapping starter while turning over ( not to hard a tap) and nothing.

9 hours ago, KDCr7 said:

I should mention I have gone through and cleaned and tightened connections throughout the boat this spring. 

Checked voltage of battery, starter/ solenoid at rest as well as with ignition turned. 12.7 volts at all points.

Tried tapping starter while turning over ( not to hard a tap) and nothing.

Don't forget to clean the ground connections as well.  The main one will be on the rear of the starboard engine head.

It is not hard to rebuild your starter.  The problem is almost always carbon buildup in the commutator, so you really don't need new parts.

Thanks @justgary.  I'm going to give it a try today.  Out at the cabin for a few more days so replacement is not an option right now.  

The only solvent I have on hand is brake  cleaner and a little carb cleaner.  Would these be acceptable?

2 hours ago, KDCr7 said:

Thanks @justgary.  I'm going to give it a try today.  Out at the cabin for a few more days so replacement is not an option right now.  

The only solvent I have on hand is brake  cleaner and a little carb cleaner.  Would these be acceptable?

OBE, but to answer the question, I typically use diesel, kerosene, or mineral spirits for this type of cleaning.  No need to use harsh cleaners that might eat the lacquer from the windings.

49 minutes ago, KDCr7 said:

Looks like it shorted out.  I don't believe this will work anymore.

Any idea what part # I'm looking at for a new starter?

IMG_20210627_114030.jpg

That's impressive!  I have never seen that happen.  Next time it might be best to recognize that the starter isn't turning and quit trying before the commutator melts.

@justgaryI cursed to myself as soon as i saw it.  Knew i screwed up. 🤦‍♂️I did turn it over quite a few times when the new battery went in, thinking it was a bad battery. Definitely will not do that ever again.

Is the flywheel 14 inch? 2003 monsoon 335

Edited by KDCr7

Just to update, ended up finding a Wilson marine starter (91-01-4515) locally.  Locally being a small town near the cabin which kept us on the water during a scorching heat wave.  

It's a reman that sure looks well built. Time will tell if it is a quality part. 

• 2 weeks later...

We'll boat ran for over a week with new starter, then yesterday we were stranded out on the lake.  Drove out for a swim, went to start back up and no start.

Been going through the no start trouble shooting guide and closest I got was a sputter. Thought it was hydrolock because I am getting some rotation when starter cranks, so it is engaging.  Best way to describe it is only getting half a crank.

Have checked relay, hydrolock, boosted battery.  Going to get battery load tested but not sure what else to do?

Edited by KDCr7

I did pull them then tried turning it over with the key while the plugs were out. It was still only giving me a partial crank.  Anything else I should do with the plugs out, maybe turn it over by hand (wrench)?