Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sold my boat! Now what?

Malibuzer

So we decided to sell our VTX.  Last few years it hasn't been getting used much as the kids have been gone.  Didnt need, or really want to sell.  Listed it higher than I thought it would fetch and sold it in ONE HOUR for asking price!  She leaves tomorrow.  ITs been a tough day for both the wife and I as there are so many incredible memories of the family and boating.  First time in 20 years without a boat.  Going to sit down and have a stiff drink!

• Sad 3

You sold at an all time high and in record time. Find comfort in knowing you timed the market perfectly and enjoy that cocktail! 

2 hours ago, braindamage said:

Congratulations!! And sad all at the same time. There is a time and a place for all things.

Next: Maybe ballroom dancing?💃🕺

Been there done that! My wife and I wanna dance competition in Jamaica. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ROFF said:

You need an airplane!!

This!!^^

We live on the water, my cottage in Michigan is on the water and my wife’s family lives close to the Mississippi River. I’ve been “pitching” a float plane to the family COO for a couple of years, but so far she has strongly resisted.

No planes in my future!  Hoping this crazy pricing bubble bursts in a year or two.  In the meantime we will be boat interlopers!  Went out last night with my brother.  That would be a perfect solution, but they are going 6 hours away for the summer!  I do have another good friend with a 23XTi we can use at times.  It just doesn't feel right.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, braindamage said:

Almost the same prices as a new surf boat:

I like the Icon.  Two of the planes in the video are cartoons... I think I'd shy away from those.

8 hours ago, justgary said:

I like the Icon.  Two of the planes in the video are cartoons... I think I'd shy away from those.

The searey looked pretty good. I looked online and there is a 2004 for $63k! That price is so low I’m kind of scared.

I've wanted an Icon for years.  Just wish the payload was a little higher.  At 250 lbs, it doesn't leave me a lot of room for passenger or luggage weight.  It'd be awesome out here for getting out to the ski lake in a hurry.

3 hours ago, Gumps said:

We did the same a few years back for the same reasons.

Then as the kids grew older and started families they wanted to get back into the sport. Onto our second boat since the comeback now. Having kids and a bunch of grandies involved and camping with us is very motivating.

That is our plan.  And I really think this crazy high priced boat bubble is going to burst!  Probably get into a bigger boat next time.  

Spent the weekend at the lake as a First mate (helper) on a couple of friends boats!  Ending up driving all weekend anyway!   Made it a bit better not having ours.  Now, I just need someone to get a bigger surf boat!

On 6/25/2021 at 10:13 PM, Malibuzer said:

So we decided to sell our VTX.  Last few years it hasn't been getting used much as the kids have been gone.  Didnt need, or really want to sell.  Listed it higher than I thought it would fetch and sold it in ONE HOUR for asking price!  She leaves tomorrow.  ITs been a tough day for both the wife and I as there are so many incredible memories of the family and boating.  First time in 20 years without a boat.  Going to sit down and have a stiff drink!

Congrats on a once in a life time payback. Downside is if you ever get back into boating the sticker shock will eat up any money you made on that sale. As long as you can use your friend's boats you're golden.

It's kind of like the housing industry today. People talk about how much they sold their house for and then realize that they have to replace it and it is even more expensive than the one they sold. Now if they can rent for a while and housing prices come down then they did well. But renting sucks.