Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Universally disliked Malibu changes

hethj7

A bit of an odd topic, but hey, why not?   With talk of the new lines on the 25LSV and other 22 model year changes I am reminded of so many changes folks disliked hated, but then they become a non-issue later.  At the end of the day most all things end up being fine.  So, what is the one item that you believe wasn’t fine or never really universally gained acceptance?

I can only think of 1 really - the stomp pads on the 2018? 23LSV.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, hethj7 said:

A bit of an odd topic, but hey, why not?   With talk of the new lines on the 25LSV and other 22 model year changes I am reminded of so many changes folks disliked hated, but then they become a non-issue later.  At the end of the day most all things end up being fine.  So, what is the one item that you believe wasn’t fine or never really universally gained acceptance?

I can only think of 1 really - the stomp pads on the 2018? 23LSV.  

I agree.   I hated the stomp pads and actually had the factory remove them when I built my ‘18

ahopkins22LSV

Fair topic. I don’t mind they out the short windshield on the vtx but I hate that the top deck soft grip kit didn’t come with a piece between the tower and windshield if you get the G tower.

• Like 2

Well, we'll see where this goes.   This thread wasn't created to be a list of gripes or wish list items - I was curious what items nearly everyone is in agreement they don't or didn't like.    

The 1 and done screens are borderline in my opinion.   The screens themselves in 2014 aren't terrible and had they used those screens for a few years before the switch, they wouldn't get much attention.   The fact they were used only a single year make them a topic, IMHO.  

We can lament touchscreens now, deeper, less sporty hulls, or other changes from years past, but I'd argue very few of those are universally disliked.  

The stomp pads stuck out to me.  I can't think of another feature added then removed so quickly by Malibu.   

I was coming out at it from the angle of we don't usually like change, complain about a lot when new releases occur, but then ultimately most everything is a non-issue.   

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

This thread wasn't created to be a list of gripes or wish list items - I was curious what items nearly everyone is in agreement they don't or didn't like.

Well, I'm not agreeing to anything if I can't see the list first!  Nancy "we have to pass it to know what's in it" Pelosi already pulled that one over on America.

While I don't know what a "stomp pad" or a "one and done" screen is, @94MalibuEchelon makes some great points.  Malibu assumes that everybody wants to buy a whale, when in fact plenty of us want a low, sleek ski boat.  The Response is a one-size-fits-all shoe that you have to wear if you ski.  My 1999 Sunsetter LX is a bit longer, has a walk-through bow, the long bow rails, the convertible sun pad/bench seat, and it still makes a great ski wake. 

Malibu doesn't make a boat that I can buy to replace mine if I wanted to.  So while you will build a list that everybody likes that becomes OK over time, a lot of us have a list that Malibu seems to have completely given up on.  A Response would be a big downgrade for me.

• Like 2
martinarcher

^^ Yeah, that's my most hated steering wheel they ever shipped for sure.  It was in the name of screen visibility but I'd rather look at the old Isotta wheel and peek around to see the screen.  

• Like 2

Does price count?

I really dislike the tall hulls of the newer boats, that and everything is just so big and bulky. Low and sleek preferably for me

Surfgate platforms...they sit too far out of the water and are smaller than earlier years imo but they do look nice

Edited by 06malibu
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

2008 one and done dash.

Specifically the 23LSV 2008 dash.  But I loved my 2008 dash with the Malibu upgrade. Not sure why there was so much dislike for it.

18 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

Here's the stomp pads in the 2018 23LSV.

image.thumb.png.f96bd906533f84fab1fc6f1b7284e636.png

I though everybody begged for those so you didn't have to step on your cushions? 

Hard to get universal agreement on anything... 

I would love the stomp pad on the seat as it would compliment the walk through.

@hethj7 -  The current styling trend, and perhaps specifically on tournament ski boats, is pretty much universally not getting a thumbs up.  Lots of posts in various sites as data on less than enthusiastic response to current styling.  It is interesting that @94MalibuEchelon post does seem to have garnered several thumbs up for the points brought up.  Looks like this thread should really have two columns so to speak, wake side and ski side as for items Bu faithful either universally like or not as usage and likes are very different.

As for me, barefoot & slalom wake, quality level, performance, all glass construction and great styling are all the like's for my mid 90's Malibu; dislikes, not enough hours in a day to spend behind it... 

• Like 3

Higher freeboard than the Queen Mary II

Unnecessary creases

Random triangles and polygons in the gel patterns

LCD screens and more LCD screens

Three event boat that looks like a platypus

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Hard to get universal agreement on anything... 

I would love the stomp pad on the seat as it would compliment the walk through.

We kept the stomp pads on the rear lockers but had them removed from the seats at factory.  The problem with them is they were very hard and not comfortable at all to sit on.  

I was a Malibu guy since 2005, had three Response closed bow ski boats (all ordered to my specs) and loved every single one of them. Never a complaint with the build quality and could live with the minor things that hadn’t been perfect or needed a little attention from my side. But recent changes in design drove me away from this brand.

I know it’s all personal preference, but when we decided on a new boat, I just couldn’t stand the looks of the new TXI. (And can’t till today.) it’s just so damn ugly. I didn’t even considered it as an option when shopping for a new one a few years ago.

I’m a bit oldschool and to me a boat needs a defined nose, a sleek windshield, simple and elegant lines and good proportions.
I can’t stand picklefork or flat noses on nowaday’s boats and I absolutely hate seadek when it’s used in such an excess like they do today.
And I love the feel of carpet under my bare feet.

Best compromise we could find was a 2018  Ski Nautique 200 (last production year with carpet and last production year of these boats actually being built by Nautique in Orlando, not in the old Bryant boats factory like the 2019 and onwards 200’s.)

I sure miss the sleek lines and some of the quality features of my former Malibus (thicker, more durable upholstery and that sportscar feeling behind the wheel for instance) but all in all we are quite happy with our new boat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1