Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hazed gelcoat

My boat is mostly gray with metallic green accents. The only place I get a "bathtub ring is on the metallic gelcoat. It's not a stain as I have tried FSR on it and it has no effect. I've also tried several different rubbing compounds, wax, etc. The surface of the gelcoat where the haze is at is noticeably less smooth than the unaffected areas, maybe it feels coarse as paper to the touch. The only step I can see solving it would be wet sanding and buffing with something like Everbrite. Anyone ever have this type of issue and what worked to solve it?

spacer.png

Thanks,

Edited by Markkissner
pic

I had this on my first boat. The black gel really showed it.  It’s bad oxidation. Compounding wasn’t enough. The fix was wet sanding and buffing / polishing it. That resets your finish and clear coat. Then I was religious about sealing it with a polymer wax till I sold it. These days I’d use a ceramic coating to prevent it from coming back. One and done for a couple years. There’s some really easy to apply ceramics now. The stuff we put on Ronnie's boat was like Hot Sauce. Admittedly it’s more a 50 hour service.  Lighter weight you see. But probably good for trailering and a family with TLC. I use heavier stuff since it’s outside year round. 

If you’ve tried compound to no avail then next step is wet sand and polish. I’ve had great luck removing fender rash/hazing with “Marine 31” Captains One Step Compound & Polish. Key is using a fairly course pad w/DA. Everything from this company is excellent. Also like Meguiars marine specific products. 

Wetsand will fix it.  I had to do this on mine waterline which has red in the stern.  They key is to be very strict on sealing it once you wetsand it, and continue to seal it each year going forward, otherwise it will come back.  

With that said, I've heard mixed reviews on successfully wet sanding flake.

• 6 months later...
Malibugelcoat

Using a heat gun over this area will remove the hazing. Simply sanding, buffing and polishing won’t remove haze. I have used this method to remove the hazing on my boat before.