Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 Malibu Response LX transmission work needed

pikelakemalibu

My transmission (ZF Hurth Marine model HSW 450 D A=1.00 B=1.03) failed yesterday after about 20 minutes of tubing; nothing happens with lever in either forward or reverse.  Checked fluid level, nice and clean and full; no fluid leaks; checked cooling line to make sure nothing plugging it; verified linkage is correctly putting tranny into forward-neutral-reverse; pulled neutral safety switch and verified proper function.  Prop shaft aft of the transmission does not move at all with engine running, but I can turn by hand.  Just got a return call from Minnesota Inboard Water Sports service department (Malibu dealer in MN I bought boat from) and they won't work on my boat due to its age, and they also couldn't find a rebuilt transmission for me.  So - any suggestions as to another repair facility, and/or transmission rebuild shop?  I'd rather not pull tranny myself and reinstall, but could probably do it if I can either find a replacement tranny or have mine rebuilt.  There is a used one on eBay right now, 250 hours supposedly, but no guarantee with it so that's a bit of a concern.  Thanks for any input! 

ps. bought my boat new, has about 620 hours, been well taken care of.  Summer is short here in Duluth MN so already missing not being on the water!

1 hour ago, pikelakemalibu said:

they won't work on my boat due to its age

I suppose that I understand why a dealer doesn't want to work on a 1963 Evinrude 60 HP outboard because the parts and technology are so different now, but I'm really shocked when a dealer won't work on an inboard that uses basically the same stuff that new ones do.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tvano said:

take a moment and insure that the shift shaft is moving when the lever is moved.  

it would not be the first time that the lever was loose on the shaft.

Yes, shift shaft is moving correctly into forward - neutral - reverse position on the tranny

I don't know the places but I know there are some that fix those tranny's better than new. Did it have any symptoms at all before this?

Sounds like it's been an awesome boat for you.

Steve B.

10 hours ago, formulaben said:

Although probably unlikely, I'd make sure you verify it's not a failure of the damper plate before ordering a new transmission.

What is the damper plate?

15 hours ago, pikelakemalibu said:

(ZF Hurth Marine model HSW 450 D A=1.00 B=1.03)

https://www.bakesonline.com/zf-450d-transmission-11-gear-box.html

Yikes... Pricy at $3340.00

53 minutes ago, pikelakemalibu said:

https://skidim.com/damper-drive-plate-gm-small-block.html

Much less than a new transmission @ $92.00

1 hour ago, pikelakemalibu said:

The damper plate bolts onto the engine's flywheel and takes the place of a clutch or torque converter.  It absorbs the shock of shifting gears and individual cylinders firing when at idle speeds.  If it fails, you get zero output from the engine to the transmission.

https://waggonerguide.com/clutch-plate-drive-plate-drive-damper/

16 hours ago, justgary said:

I suppose that I understand why a dealer doesn't want to work on a 1963 Evinrude 60 HP outboard because the parts and technology are so different now, but I'm really shocked when a dealer won't work on an inboard that uses basically the same stuff that new ones do.

Especially when it's the dealer that sold you the boat new and still reps the brand. 

Check and see if your output shaft from the engine going into the transmission is turning, then it is the Damper plate. My 2005 LXI had some bad plates and they were blowing apart while running. Made one hell of noise. Like throwing all your silverware into the bell housing. Some people even had them brake through the bell housing and go into the fiberglass.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:49 AM, pikelakemalibu said:

Here is the update: decided to do part of the repair myself, as I found a local person who could rebuild the transmission if I brought it to him.  Pulled the bellhousing off (with transmission attached) and noticed something didn't look quite right.  Turns out the center portion of the damper plate (where the tranny splines go through) had sheared completely off from the damper plate, so the transmission was no longer turning with the engine. Rest of damper plate looks fine - no loose or broken springs, etc.  New damper plate already on order!  Thanks everyone for your feedback.  (Wanted to post a picture of the broken damper plate but couldn't figure out how to get a picture into this response)

• Like 3