Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cool Touch Vinyl - do not use 303

Our 2021 23 LSV arrived at the dealer today.   I was told not to use 303 Protectant on any cool touch vinyl.  The dark blue sections and blue piping are cool touch on our boat.  It will be challenging to use 303.   

66333E38-07DB-49FC-BB45-3E8D46857601.jpeg

785B861C-A62F-4475-A8E0-030B134016B1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Your owners manual addresses what to use. 

Thanks.    I will check it.  

My dealer said 303 would neutralize the cool touch capability.  

I have used 303 on all my boats and vehicles with great results

I quit using 303 years ago. Too slippery and it tracks onto surfboard EVA deck pads making them slippery. We switched to Vinyl Sauce up until this year. Now we have 100% cool touch. 

38 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I quit using 303 years ago. Too slippery and it tracks onto surfboard EVA deck pads making them slippery. We switched to Vinyl Sauce up until this year. Now we have 100% cool touch. 

Have they removed the smell from the condition sauce?  I bought a bottle of it a couple years ago and really couldn't comment on how well it worked because I couldn't get past the Pina Colada stink - used it once.

My understanding is that the Vinyl Sauce is the cleaner and the Condition Sauce is the protectant.

Edited by oldjeep
28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Have they removed the smell from the condition sauce?  I bought a bottle of it a couple years ago and really couldn't comment on how well it worked because I couldn't get past the Pina Colada stink - used it once.

My understanding is that the Vinyl Sauce is the cleaner and the Condition Sauce is the protectant.

I’ve been using vinyl sauce this year and haven’t noticed a strong smell. Everyone’s schnoz is different though. 

4 minutes ago, ridethatbike said:

I’ve been using vinyl sauce this year and haven’t noticed a strong smell. Everyone’s schnoz is different though. 

It is the condition sauce that stinks, the Vinyl Sauce doesn't smell like much of anything - but it is a cleaner.  So, are you just using the cleaner and not applying protectant (Condition sauce) afterwards?

Edited by oldjeep

Yes, just the cleaner. I’m skeptical of the benefits of conditioner products. I think you’ll do well just keeping the interior clean.  But change my mind if you know otherwise. I’d like to think I’m open minded. 😉

Just now, ridethatbike said:

Yes, just the cleaner. I’m skeptical of the benefits of conditioner products. I think you’ll do well just keeping the interior clean.  But change my mind if you know otherwise. I’d like to think I’m open minded. 😉

I've got a 9 year old boat where the white is still sparkling white - same as my last boat.  I can't speak to the new vinyl, but the older stuff stays nice with a protectant - nothing stains it.  Although aside from trying a couple things that have been suggested here over the years, I have used 303 cleaner and protectant pretty exclusively (It is what the manuals used to say).   Keeping a boat looking good for a year or 2 is no big trick, I'm more interested in long term reports.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

What do you use on cool touch?  Thanks!!

2021 manual - https://cdn.malibuboats.com/docs/owner-manuals/2021 Malibu Owner's Manual.pdf

APPROVED CLEANERS FOR MALIBU UPHOLSTERY (EXCEPT COOL TECH)

• 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner

• All Purpose Vinyl Cleaner

• Babe’s Boat Care Wash •

Coverage Plus Germicidal Wipes

• Fantastik Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner-heavy Duty

• Formula 409 Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner

• Iosso Marine Products Mold & Mildew Stain Remover (in dilution of 1 scoop [1/2 oz] per quart of water)

Above are all recommended for use, ONLY if diluted per the manufacturer’s instructions.

If your boat is equipped with Cool-Tech Upholstery, then the ONLY approved is cleaning product is water with mild dish detergent.

It is interesting that they don't talk about a protectant at all any more.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

2021 manual - https://cdn.malibuboats.com/docs/owner-manuals/2021 Malibu Owner's Manual.pdf

APPROVED CLEANERS FOR MALIBU UPHOLSTERY (EXCEPT COOL TECH)

• 303 Fabric/Vinyl Cleaner

• All Purpose Vinyl Cleaner

• Babe’s Boat Care Wash •

Coverage Plus Germicidal Wipes

• Fantastik Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner-heavy Duty

• Formula 409 Antibacterial All-Purpose Cleaner

• Iosso Marine Products Mold & Mildew Stain Remover (in dilution of 1 scoop [1/2 oz] per quart of water)

Above are all recommended for use, ONLY if diluted per the manufacturer’s instructions.

If your boat is equipped with Cool-Tech Upholstery, then the ONLY approved is cleaning product is water with mild dish detergent.

It is interesting that they don't talk about a protectant at all any more.

Thank you for sharing.   I pick my boat up this afternoon.  I do not have my manual yet. 

On 6/23/2021 at 7:12 AM, oldjeep said:

Who the heck doesn’t love the smell of a pina colada? That’s the best thing about that stuff. 😜