Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Assistance with maintenance items

dickthemooner

Hey Malibu teams!

I have a couple questions. Not sure which way to proceed and need guidance. Here goes, don't beat me up to bad for the first one, I been under the Covid spell since purchasing this boat over a year ago and its been sitting!

1) 1993 Echelon. Engine was rebuilt top to bottom prior to my purchase. It didn't have 30 hrs on it. It Ran ok when I took it home, then sat after Covid put me out of commission for 6 months. I winterized it, pulled drain plugs and hoses off, drained as much water as I could. Also had the silent rider muffler off along with the ram horns from the exhaust manifold. (Silent Rider muffler was bad). So, I poured antifreeze down the top of the exhaust man and all the other hose, openings to the block until it ran out orange. Sat all winter, then a couple weeks ago, I started to put it all back together with new clamps, hoses, etc. Noticed the oil was white-ish(sign of water) and pulled the plugs to peek. Yep, my dumb butt didn't think about the exhaust valves being open and some cycliners had water seep in when I winterized it. Since, I have removed all the plugs, cranked the engine to blow all water out, then WD40 all of them, repeat twice. I know it will smoke like a banshee but at least I know the cylinders will be lubed just in case of a spec of rust from sitting. Now you have that background, here's what I did next.  Drained all the oil, and changed filter. Nasty. Changed Water/fuel seperator. New fuel lines. 

So my questions are:

1) Do I need to do something further on the cylinders other than blow them out now and install new plugs? Or is what I've done sufficient?

2) Oil. Since we know the angle of the oil pan is slightly raise, theres a good chance a small amount of antifreeze remains. Do I need to do something other than change the oil and filter, or merely start it up, run it a short time, then change the oil and filter again? Is there anything that can be added to dissipate the little bit of water that remains?

3) Best place for a rebuilt carb? This one was new, but is so rusty I don't want to rebuild it.

Keep the water spraying fellow Malibu lovers!

Richard in TN

Is it correct to interpret your pouring antifreeze down the exhaust you accidentally poured it down in to the exhaust ports themselves?  The steps you have taken are correct regardless of the winteriization done.  I would spin the engine over on the starter with spark plugs removed to purge any additional fluids from the combustion chambers.  Then install plugs, have fresh oil and filter and start it up. Watch oil pressure and run until warm (on a fake a lake).  Drain and change oil and probably filter too if oil looks marginal.  Probably worth doing a compression and leak down test to ensure all is good.  As you run it, check oil frequently to make sure it is not changing in color or amount.  Any small amount of unwanted fluid that didn’t drain out should burn off when engine is hot.  SBC’s are pretty tough, as long as nothing cracked or engine ran with antifreeze as the lubricant, you probably are okay.

if the water did actually seep in from a cooling passage then you need to isolate that and perform the repair.  Doing the above steps and seeing the dreaded milkshake continue to happen will be a clue.  Leak down test can also isolate a crack if in the combustion chamber.

• Like 3

It sounds like you'll have all the coolant out.  I'm not an expert on engine internals though, but I'd have done the same steps that you did.

On the carb, I just replaced mine with a rebuilt from here: https://flyingfishcarburetors.com/ .  I first replaced my original Weber carb back in 2013 as well as my intake, but the new Edelbrock intake did not have the manifold actuated choke (my error).  After holding the butterfly closed for 8 years I decided to swap it out for the same Weber carb but this time with an electric choke.  It was a very good experience with them each time.  They'll give you a core value for your current carb when you send it back to them too.  An Edelbrock 1409 is the same carb too, that will also work.  Hot wire on either carb goes to the S terminal on the alternator.

• Like 1

OP, Please Explain Where you poured the antifreeze in your cooling system. I have attached a diagram of a 1992 Mecruiser 350 Mag.  for reference your engine may very, but not by much.

If I understand correctly, you took the exhaust Elbows off and poured antifreeze into the top of the exhaust manifold.    Is This correct?

350 magnum cooling system 1992.jpg

Edited by Rack
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ballay said:

I use a funnel and pour it into the hose from the sea water inlet. I usually run about 4 gallons. 

Sorry, I was referring to the OP on how he poured antifreeze in the exhaust and it ended up in the cylinders

Ballay,I do the same thing as you with a 50. 50 Mix and have never had it go into the cylinders. 

• Like 1

Hi All and ty for the replies! I have been laid up so I am just getting back to the post! 1300 emaisl to catch up on lol

Rack - yes, I poured the antifreeze into the exhaust manifold. I had the exhaust elbows removed when I took the muffler off so I just poured it in where I saw water sitting. I removed pretty much all the hoses and drained what was in it prior to doing this. I also removed the water pump hose and poured it in there. I removed the fresh water pump and replaced the impeller as well, even though it didn't look bad. Good thing I took all the hoses of and blew them clean too. The engine oil and power steering cooler was full of old impeller debri!

Michigan Boarder - I have contacted flyingfish and looks like they can help. :)

Woodski - Thanks for the input as well. Sounds like you are on board with my steps so far. As soon as I get the new carb, I'll be ready to fire it up. I doubt there is any issue with a cracked head or intake but I will most definately be watching after my screw up.

I must admity, I am embarrassed to have even mentioned it, but this site has helped me immensily with putting this boat back in the water. The worst part, I am a retired mechanic of 22 years and should have not rushed what I was doing. But I'm gonna blame it on the Covid I had at the time. Its been over a year, and I am just now feeling like the "brain fog " and memory loss is subsiding. I need to get her back running and finshed so I can sell her and pay off some of these Hospital Bills! My hospital stay alone was over $30k just for 7 days. I damn near died from this stuff!

I'll wait for more replies and promise not to take a week this time! Thanks for splashing around with me! You guys a a great crew!

Richard

14 minutes ago, dickthemooner said:

I must admity, I am embarrassed to have even mentioned it, but this site has helped me immensily with putting this boat back in the water. The worst part, I am a retired mechanic of 22 years and should have not rushed what I was doing. But I'm gonna blame it on the Covid I had at the time. Its been over a year, and I am just now feeling like the "brain fog " and memory loss is subsiding. I need to get her back running and finshed so I can sell her and pay off some of these Hospital Bills! My hospital stay alone was over $30k just for 7 days. I damn near died from this stuff!

Don't feel bad, I go downstairs with a purpose and when I get back upstairs realized I did something completely different, so back down I go. :loser:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Richard, Sorry to hear about your health issue. Glad to see you are back up and running. 

Every winter I remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders Then I use a socket wrench and turn the crank a couple of revolutions to coat the cylinders.

Then I reinstall the spark plugs and turn the engine over with the coil wire removed, Just for a second or two. Don't use the starter while the plug are pulled you will be wearing that oil.

This procedure might work well in your case as the fogging oil coats the cylinder walls better than WD 40. 

I also do this same procedure at start up in the spring. Its a little hard to start and there is allot of smoke involved. Remember to always use fresh Gas.

You Can order the fogging oil online from amazon lots of choices, but stay with the name brands. I use Mercury or Stabil.

Keep us up dated on your progress and how it all turns out. We all like Happy Endings

Edited by Rack