Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pre-surf gate FAE

onwi

Has anyone here installed FAE on their pre-surfgate Axis.  I am interesting in installing FAE, but have been told I may lose some ability to work with the wedge.  I'd like to avoid that and want to see if anyone has been successful thus far.  TIA.

I've been chatting with them.  They don't seem to want to commit.  I just want to know that I could return it should I find that I cannot use the wedge any longer. 

They've specifically told me that some customers have lost the ability to control the wedge from the platform and suggested that I may have to put down the wedge before I get in the water.  The common solution was to raise the platform, but that really isn't an option with the way the 2012 axis platform is molded into the back of the boat.

Eeesh, that's crazy. FAE is awesome, we have one, but having the wedge constantly up or down doesn't sound like it would be worth it. So the FAE would be in the way of the pins to lower the wedge through the platform hole? On my dad's boat I always lowered it while in the water anyway, instead of the hole in the platform. It was easier on his manual wedge. 

Gotcha. Yes. I've heard the same.

The location of the wedge door and the FAE make it so you couldn't reach the wedge. Not on all boats, but some.

• 2 weeks later...

i have one on my 2011 it clears the wedge no issue the problem is releasing it is difficult but ... the guy from fae and myself engineered a cable release for the wedge. i can get pictures tonight for you, but its basically a stainless choke cable and you replace the pins on the release with cable stops.  it works well enough to not stress about it but i thought he was gonna refine it but fae has never done anything with it 

Edited by amsugg
On 7/2/2021 at 2:50 PM, onwi said:

@amsuggThat would be awesome.  I'd love to see how it works for you. Thanks.

completely forgot my apologies ... ill make myself a note  

• 3 weeks later...

And not that you needed more info but this is the reason for the cable  

first pic is blocked access to release tabs

second pic is underside image 

third is just better angle for remote release handle  

EDA9B768-6BD3-4CC5-A673-224E5D8A97B2.jpeg

52AEC323-B77C-45C9-8B06-B41AD8634857.jpeg

5B85F871-5CAE-457B-A53E-A37F4363D93C.jpeg