Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Duramax (LM2) Escalade (and yukon/tahoe)

gregtay

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s company wide… worst OEM I’ve ever worked with and a big reason why I choose not to purchase their vehicles. 

I have a good friend who supplies production commodities to them.  He's in the same position as you and I.

• 4 weeks later...

Question for the audience:  Has anyone purchased a Tahoe/Yukon and later wished they had opted instead for the Suburban/Yukon XL?  Or vise-versa?

Eyeing a Duramax Tahoe RST for my wife's daily driver.  Two kids, one dog, 95% of use will be daily driving and grocery getting, but it will be used for big camping weekends and boating weekends too when we don't want to take the truck, or when we need both the boat and the travel trailer.  So it needs to tow and have some cargo room to boot. 

Clearly the 'Burban has more interior space but the Tahoe will be better for daily driving and urban parking.

Based on what people have said here the Duramax is a great option for fuel mileage and towing ability.  Downside is fuel price but over the life of the vehicle that should stabilize.  And is offset by cost of fuel for the 6.2, which would be the only other option because of towing needs.

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at one of these?  thanks! 

10 minutes ago, rennis said:

Question for the audience:  Has anyone purchased a Tahoe/Yukon and later wished they had opted instead for the Suburban/Yukon XL?  Or vise-versa?

Eyeing a Duramax Tahoe RST for my wife's daily driver.  Two kids, one dog, 95% of use will be daily driving and grocery getting, but it will be used for big camping weekends and boating weekends too when we don't want to take the truck, or when we need both the boat and the travel trailer.  So it needs to tow and have some cargo room to boot. 

Clearly the 'Burban has more interior space but the Tahoe will be better for daily driving and urban parking.

Based on what people have said here the Duramax is a great option for fuel mileage and towing ability.  Downside is fuel price but over the life of the vehicle that should stabilize.  And is offset by cost of fuel for the 6.2, which would be the only other option because of towing needs.

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at one of these?  thanks! 

I have had both versions of this vehicle - Yukon and Yukon XL.  I started with the Yukon and then moved to the XL for #2, #3, and #4.  I considered the shorter version this time around, but due to availability didn't give it too much thought.  I believe that the current generation of Yukon / Tahoe has more room behind the 3rd seat vs the previous generation.  In the 2007 Yukon that I had, if the 3rd row seats were in place, there was about 8" of "cargo space" behind those seats - absolutely useless.  If you will use the 3rd row seats, the cargo space difference is pretty significant in my opinion.

I don't find the XL version to be a problem driving in the city / parking garages, etc.  I am sure that the shorter version would be easier, but not that different.  Even the XL versions are shorter than all of the 1/2 ton pickups these days...

I fully embrace the Duramax.  This is my first diesel daily driver and I really like it.

Nobody ever said that they wish they had a smaller boat vehicle!

We have had a 93 & 05 suburban, currently '20 Tahoe. I miss the room of the Suburbans even though kids are out of the house. I also dislike the electric fold down 3rd seats vs when they could be removed - another "extra room eater". The 93 was my favorite, and in fact we still own it with 350k miles. Driving it this week with snow in forecast and 85 Nissan waiting on an alternator! If I could I would get another brand new 93 Sub vs the Tahoe we have now and drive it another 350K

I have had Yukons XL Denalis and a Tahoe.  The Tahoe was considerably smaller. The rear wheel wells cut into the back door of the Tahoe vs the XL in addition to the lack of space behind the third seat.  

We have the standard size Escalade and I think the size is perfect.  But we also have a 3500 with an 8 foot bed when needed.   But its just personal preference and need.

One thought though, how much weight do you really want to pack in the cab when towing heavy?  If you fill up the seats in the suburban, add gear, and then drop 800 lbs. of carry weight on the hitch,  I gotta think you are well over on payload capacity.  

Edited by jjackkrash
16 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

We have the standard size Escalade and I think the size is perfect.  But we also have a 3500 with an 8 foot bed when needed.   But its just personal preference and need.

One thought though, how much weight do you really want to pack in the cab when towing heavy?  If you fill up the seats in the suburban, add gear, and then drop 800 lbs. of carry weight on the hitch,  I gotta think you are well over on payload capacity.  

We won't be loaded heavy when we tow with the SUV.  SUV will be used for day trips to the lake, packing the clan to/from Grandparents' houses, etc.  For long road trips with lots of gear and something under tow, the truck is getting the nod.  And if we're taking both and towing the boat and the travel trailer at the same time (probably 2-3x per year), most of the gear is going into the F150 for sure.  I follow you 100% here. 

I have a 2022 Denali and it’s a big vehicle all around (length, width, height). Its a lot bigger than previous body styles. The new XLs would be a tank. We have 1 toddler so we have to pack more than normal and a 90 lbs dog. We have plenty of room. With the third row up you have a good amount of storage. Also, the 3rd row is actually useable as they went independent suspension so your knees aren’t in your face. 

• Like 2

My history with GM SUV’s

* Started with an ‘08 Suburban 

* Upgraded to a ‘10 Yukon Denali XL

* Traded for a ‘15 Yukon Denali (same reason: wife wanted a smaller daily driver)

We both deeply regretted going small. After two years we swung hard the other way… we’ve had three SuperDuty trucks since and I don’t see myself ever owning a GM SUV again (although I do like the new redesign). 

You will miss the cargo room, but perhaps more importantly, you WILL feel the difference when towing. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Olddognewtricks

2016 Suburban LTZ here and have absolutely loved it, right up until last week when I had to replace the transmission.     Now trying to decide what I do next.     Until now had planned on getting a new suburban in the next couple of years but now not sure.   Curious to hear others experience.    Do you just accept tranny failure as a possibility and call it cost in ownership? Thinking of trading it in soon and still want the full size and to upgrade towing capability.  

If you had the 5.3L with the 8spd (I suspect you do) those weren't the best transmission and had some challenges.  The 6.2 w/ the 10spd was definitely a step above. I have owned both and now am on my 3rd 6.2 10spd combo with a '22 Escalade. I wanted the Duramax, but the wait for the switch to the new version and my wife's dislike of the diesel made the the 6.2 an easy choice. We only have towed a little bit with it, however we did tow our 23LSV from MN to TX this Fall. Normally we use the Super Duty.

Anyway, the new 10spd co-developed with Ford is a huge improvement over the old 8spd. In fact, a co-worked with a 2015 just lost his transmission in his Tahoe, but it had almost 150k.

Hope that helps.

Olddognewtricks
9 minutes ago, tjklein said:

If you had the 5.3L with the 8spd (I suspect you do) those weren't the best transmission and had some challenges.  The 6.2 w/ the 10spd was definitely a step above. I have owned both and now am on my 3rd 6.2 10spd combo with a '22 Escalade. I wanted the Duramax, but the wait for the switch to the new version and my wife's dislike of the diesel made the the 6.2 an easy choice. We only have towed a little bit with it, however we did tow our 23LSV from MN to TX this Fall. Normally we use the Super Duty.

Anyway, the new 10spd co-developed with Ford is a huge improvement over the old 8spd. In fact, a co-worked with a 2015 just lost his transmission in his Tahoe, but it had almost 150k.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.   Does help.   

I feel like I still feel a shudder at 45.   Trying to decide

6 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

You already spent money to replace the trans so no point in getting rid of it now. 

true.  But pissed at the dealer , 116K miles and wondering how much more I'll get out of it.   

I have a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali (112k miles) with the 6.2 and the “8” speed. I love the engine and absolutely hate the tranny. It has been hands down the worst mechanical device of any type that I have ever owned or had to deal with. I am on the 2nd trans, with the 1st being replaced @ 20k miles and multiple trips since to reset the computer and sprinkle fairy dust on it. I can also include replacing bent push rods due to 2 back to back LOMA failures. Fortunately, I have not had to spend a dime on it with the million mile warranty.The dealership lost their azz on that warranty. I hear that the new 10 speeds are light years ahead of the 8 speed. 

When you are towing watch the trans temp to see how high it gets. Heat is a transmission's worst enemy and is the most common failure. I would recommend installing a larger cooler if you see temps over 200* when towing. 

41 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

When you are towing watch the trans temp to see how high it gets. Heat is a transmission's worst enemy and is the most common failure. I would recommend installing a larger cooler if you see temps over 200* when towing. 

That's not the right solution for the 8-speed transmissions.  Easier and better way is to:
- Install LT4 themostat
- Reprogram fans to come on a little earlier and ramp up more aggressively

That combination makes a huge difference in transmission cooling.  And only needed if you are towing pretty heavy, as the stock cooling keeps temps in check very well for most loads.  

I had a 2017 Silverado HC 1500 with 6.2 and 8 spd, transmission. It would lurch between 1st and 2nd. Had it checked multiple times and mechanics kept telling me I was crazy. Spoke with the dealership owner who is a family friend but didn't want to go that route initially. With that pressure I finally got them to properly recreate the issue and when they checked the fluid there was metal shavings galore. It was replaced under warranty although I never took the truck back.. got a few different offers and the dealer matched the best one. Got a great price due to COVID so dealer had no problem reselling but if I had held longer probably would of gotten an even better one.

I also concur on the 6.2 I loved that engine but the trans drove me crazy. Parents got the HC 2022 Tahoe with the 6.2 and 10 spd and that thing is great.

Edited by PrestigeLakeWide
spelling

Nitrousbird,

Why spend the money, alter factory warranty with tune, and tax the engine cooling system by making it work harder when you can duplicate HD towing vehicles by adding a cooler specifically for the transmission?

I have the 10-speed and the 3.0l diesel in a 1500 (almost new) and the 10-speed and 6.2 in the caddy (20k miles).  I don't have enough miles to comment on longevity but performance wise the new 10-speed is the bees knees.  It works great in both the gasser and the diesel. 

4 hours ago, MLBurns said:

I did that with my 2011 Yukon Denali XL.  The reduced airflow to the radiator then made the engine temps run high (so high that on my last trip towing my Malibu through the mountains of Colorado it shut off the AC).

And FWIW, I think 200* is a very low threshold for modern transmissions.  I've done a fair amount of research, and every dealer or tranny shop that I have spoken with said they don't get concerned until above 240*.  I'm not saying I like temps that high, but my experience with both the Yukon and the Expedition MAX that replaced it is that you will see those transmission temps if towing 7000 pounds through the mountains.  If you don't want those temps, need to consider a 2500 with better cooling.

• Like 2

OIP.s7EfhETGE6U8PhEED1BaOAHaE8?w=278&h=1

Having built, raced, owned my own hot rod shop. I have dealt with some of the top transmission performance shops in the country and built many of my own performance transmissions, almost every failure I have dealt with started from high temps. I had a 3700 lb car that made 800+ hp running a 4L60 transmission. The gearheads on here with know with that combo how often I had to rebuild that transmission. Not trying to be a jerk, just saying that if you keep the temps down the transmission will be much more reliable. I put a cooler on our 2016 Yukon Denali, after that it never got over 200* pulling the boat. Put 75k miles on that ride problem free.

• Like 2
On 12/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, MLBurns said:

Nitrousbird,

Why spend the money, alter factory warranty with tune, and tax the engine cooling system by making it work harder when you can duplicate HD towing vehicles by adding a cooler specifically for the transmission?

You are assuming a warranty, but unless you are running a 5.3L, you aren't under factory warranty with an 8-speed.  You aren't taxing the cooling system any more other than running some electric fans sooner and lowering the temp the thermostat opens.  

Putting ANOTHER cooler in front of the transmission taxes the cooling system more than the method I'm recommending.  

@MLBurns how old is that graphic?  I don’t think the current fluids are as sensitive to temps between 200-220 (or maybe more). 

Or put another way can you share published data from any of the current transmission fluids, or manufacture data that talks about acceptable tranny temps?  Because I can’t find any. 

Edited by RyanB
  • 1 year later...