Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15" or 16" wheel/tire size options?

gregtay

Hi all, anyone running 15" or 16" wheels/tires on a newer generations Malibu trailer?  My trailer came with the stock 14" wheels/tires and I would like a bit more rubber under the boat.  Unfortunately, they have the largest 14" trailer tire, so no option to go bigger :-/, so I need to switch to new wheels if I want to go bigger/wider. I know my last 23LSV had 15" wheels/tires and they seemed like a really good balance of size for the load.  I know most people run 18"s but I am hoping to swap out the wheels without needing new fenders, etc.

Regardless of wheel size, my recollection is you can just adjust the fender out if you have a wider tire. It seems like the Malibu trailers use the same fenders regardless of stock wheels or the 18" wheels.

Edited by G Spot
9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Just for looks?  Or you are looking for greater load capacity?  What size/load rating do you have now?

Load capacity.  I want E rated tires.  The 14" D rated tires on my trailer really look like they are struggling.  Maybe they are fine load wise, but with my old boat/trailer with 15" I never gave it a second thought.  

Tires are the stock 215/75 r 14.  I was thinking a 225/75r15 (E rated) would be a nice step up without having to get the wider fenders.  My boat is about 7500# on the trailer.

9 hours ago, G Spot said:

Regardless of wheel size, my recollection is you can just adjust the fender out if you have a wider tire. It seems like the Malibu trailers use the same fenders regardless of stock wheels or the 18" wheels.

I think the issue is (but looking at the fenders) is that they need to be wider on the inside, not the outside.  Just seems weird they don't put the same wide fenders on every trailer.

15 hours ago, gregtay said:

I think the issue is (but looking at the fenders) is that they need to be wider on the inside, not the outside.  Just seems weird they don't put the same wide fenders on every trailer.

The fenders on my 2021 trailer with triple is about 10.75" wide but there is a couple inch gap between the back side of fender and trailer frame. How wide are your fenders?