Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bimini VS Boat umbrella??

chadwick02

20+ years of boating and we've never needed a bimini.  Either we are getting old, or the sun is getting hotter... my wife now seems to get burnt / sun rash very easily.  Boat lives on a covered lift, so we rarely are in the sun all day - usually just go out for an hour or two at a time. 

Most of our sun time is floating with friends, so something like a boat umbrella has appeal since it could be positioned near the rear of the boat / platform, or over the main cockpit...etc?  Stuck in the table hole in the middle of the floor?    Does anyone use any type of umbrella?   

Also looking at something like bakes T-Top Bimini top.  Thoughts or recommendations?

Tower gets folded once a year, not concerned about easy collapse.  Not doing much wakeboarding these days so rarely does the boat go faster than surf speeds - could be removed for speed if needed.

No other malibu's on our lake with bimini's so I'm looking to the crew for help!

2013 22MXZ with G3 tower

Thanks!

Chad

Edited by chadwick02
15 minutes ago, chadwick02 said:

20+ years of boating and we've never needed a bimini.  Either we are getting old, or the sun is getting hotter... my wife now seems to get burnt / sun rash very easily.  Boat lives on a covered lift, so we rarely are in the sun all day - usually just go out for an hour or two at a time. 

Most of our sun time is floating with friends, so something like a boat umbrella has appeal since it could be positioned near the rear of the boat / platform, or over the main cockpit...etc?  Stuck in the table hole in the middle of the floor?    Does anyone use any type of umbrella?   

Also looking at something like bakes T-Top Bimini top.  Thoughts or recommendations?

Tower gets folded once a year, not concerned about easy collapse.  Not doing much wakeboarding these days so rarely does the boat go faster than surf speeds - could be removed for speed if needed.

No other malibu's on our lake with bimini's so I'm looking to the crew for help!

2013 22MXZ with G3 tower

Thanks!

Chad

Not sure if your boat has the table hole in the middle rear of the floor, but my dad would put a beach umbrella in the table post. I don't remember if he had to make an adaptor for it to fit snug or not. It was a corona umbrella, looked pretty cool.

Or there is this option... I was googling to see if I could find a picture of someone with a umbrella in their boat for a visual example, and stumbled upon this.  

https://umbrellas4boats.com/

• Like 1
9 hours ago, oldjeep said:

We are also looking at the Bakes T-top, likely too late for this year (4-8 week lead time).  Now that we have a grandkid, he needs some protection from the sun when in the boat.

Wife ordered one today, so we will see what the actual lead time is.  The member discount at bakes more than paid for the crew member fee this year.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2

Thanks guys.   Love the umbrella idea!!!  I will look at it, also looking at the bakes T top closely.

Thanks for the help!!

Chad

I ordered two biminis from overton's for my new 02 Sun setter lxi. One for the drivers seat area, one for the rear deck for those days out relaxing. With both up, everything behind the windshield is covered. I went 46" tall (from gunnel) to walk under without ducking. 

Still was able to get sunbrella but colors were limited.

Used Acorn quick release mounts, those are neat. No unscrewing the mounts to take it off. 

Put the order in for 2-day air, shipping up-charge is $25.  Got them in under a week.  They are working out well.