Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing shaft to replace cutless bearings

I’m about to remove the coupler and nut to pull the shaft through the strut but when I pull shaft out it already touches the rudder and afraid I won’t be able to pull the shaft all the way though? Any ideas?

Edited by Krewlyfe

I had to drop my rudder when I did this job earlier this year. You can remove the strut if that's easier but will likely need an alignment job if you do. I didn't need to realign after replacing my bushing with the strut in situ. 

11 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I had to drop my rudder when I did this job earlier this year. You can remove the strut if that's easier but will likely need an alignment job if you do. I didn't need to realign after replacing my bushing with the strut in situ. 

I removed my engine and left the strut and rudder alone (actually did this while replacing the oil pan)

Edited by Bozboat

I'd leave the rudder and remove the strut.  The first reason is that you will find that the bushings are bonded to the strut and working on it is easier at a bence vise.  You will likely have to cut through the old bushings in order to separate them from the strut.  The second reason is that if you haven't done an alignment any time recently, it is definitely due for one anyway.

I was able to align the strut with the shaft when I reinstalled mine (it was bent and had to come off so I could straighten it).  I only had to move the engine about 0.030" to fine tune the alignment.

31 minutes ago, Krewlyfe said:

Or what tool did you use to get those big Phillips heads out?

#3 Phillips should be in your set of bits.  If not, it's still Prime Day.