Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response Transmission adjustment

My 2012 TXI sounds like its not coming out of forward completely when putting it in neutral. Ya i could take it to a dealer but rather do it my self if its just a simple adjustment. Any thoughts on this? 

Just now, TXI said:

My 2012 TXI sounds like its not coming out of forward completely when putting it in neutral. Ya i could take it to a dealer but rather do it my self if its just a simple adjustment. Any thoughts on this? 

There isn't any adjustment in the throttle, and the shift at the trans is electric.

You could try to pull the solenoid and give it a good cleaning with WD40 and compressed air. Or swap them around and see if the problem moves to the reverse side. If so, replace. 

23 hours ago, UWSkier said:

You could try to pull the solenoid and give it a good cleaning with WD40 and compressed air. Or swap them around and see if the problem moves to the reverse side. If so, replace. 

Where are they located? Are they Malibu only part or cross to another part from Napa or similar. Does the noise mean anything that could case issues? Lots of questions sorry but seems you know more than the other commenters. 

They're mounted on the transmission and are likely a marine part OEM by ZF. But @csleaver is smarter about this stuff than I am. Check fluid first. Fluid is checked by unscrewing dipstick and checking level without threading it in. 

The transmission fluid level should be checked with the boat in the water and the engine at normal operating temperature.  Shift into forward, then neutral, then reverse, then neutral again, and then shut off the engine.  Within 30 seconds unthread and remove the trans dipstick, wipe it clean, and fully insert the dipstick without threading it back in.  Pull the dipstick out and observe the fluid level.  It should be between the two marks on the dipstick.  Add or remove fluid as needed to get the correct level.  It uses Mercon/Dexron III compatable ATF. 

The electrical connections on the ahead/fwd and astern/rev shift solenoids can be disconnected and swapped, or swap the shift solenoids on the valve stem for troubleshooting to see if the transmission, wiring, or control lever is the issue.

A damaged or bent shift solenoid stem can cause a transmission to stick in gear.

If the trans output shaft will not turn by hand with the engine off and the propshaft disconnected, then there may be damaged clutches that are dragging.

Thanks i will look into this, never new the process to check the fluid level. Similar to my newer Z06 dry sump you have to let it set for 5 minutes after running to check level.