Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to drain fuel? - 2021 Malibu 24MXZ

I had planned to get on my boat this weekend and burn up all of the fuel before leaving tomorrow to go to Lake Powell (a 1,800-mile drive). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to.

I currently have 80 gallons of fuel in the boat that we do not want to travel with. The boat + trailer + gas is 9200lbs which exceeds our tow rating by 200lbs. Any recommendations on draining it?

2021 Malibu 24MXZ

Edited by gorenation

Unless you have nothing and nobody in your tow vehicle you are likely way more than 200 over.  

In any event, you need to see if you can get a siphon down the fill.  What are you going to do with 80 gallons of fuel 

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Unless you have nothing and nobody in your tow vehicle you are likely way more than 200 over.  

In any event, you need to see if you can get a siphon down the fill.  What are you going to do with 80 gallons of fuel 

The rating is merely for the receiver back. It's a 32' RV. I have 2 55 gallon drums for the fuel.

When I had to drain the old fuel out of ours after purchasing it I tried a few methods. 

What worked for me in the end was to disconnect the fuel line after the fuel pump and attach a hose to that line that was long enough to go into the barrel. Then I hot wired the fuel pump directly from the battery and let it do the work for me. Don’t let it run dry since it is cooled by the fuel flowing through it. 

Shouldn’t be much different than my LSV. Drop the nose of the trailer, pull the floor, remove the furthest forward fuel return line head (6x 8mm) insert hose and gravity drain into waiting vehicle or 55 gal drum.

DE7E5011-3FE2-4F2D-9156-E148660472CE.jpeg

3AAEFA42-C86D-4F35-BD2F-2BBBF2EA6481.jpeg

Why not put a garden hose down the fill hole and let gravity do the work? Cut to length, of course. So you don’t have to remove any lines or risk spilling in your boat. 

The easiest option is to go buy a bigger tow vehicle. All you have to do is sign! Well, if you can find a new rig.

Edited by BlindSquirrel