Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1990 Malibu F3 Trailer Input

LowBrodge

Hey gang this is my 2nd Malibu & 5th comp inboard. From Tiques to 22 Tristars.  I skied on a #2 National Show team for 5 years in the late 80's~ we maintained all our own ramps, docks etc. I have the ability to weld back anything that's rusted out  (yes it's like big holes in crossmembers).~ but that's just one more project & what I may have to do - it's time to ski, right (actually all year in FL). I picked this up the other day  & can ski today. I started searching  for a new good used trailer & picken's seem slim!

I obviously know I need a trailer with a prop cage and clearance for skegs.

Question: When shopping for a 1990 Malibu Euro F3 Trailer

What are some do's & don'ts?

What have you tried & regretted doing?

Anyone using a single axle ?

Who has them new in Florida?

Thanks ~ Peace!

spacer.png

I would not waste my time trying to weld in new sections of trailer.  I have done that in a pinch, but it is very pesky welding under the boat, and it is only temporary.  What part of Florida are you in? 

I ordered my aluminum trailer through a local dealer from Loadmaster in Tampa.  They don't have a specific trailer for inboard boats, but they were plenty familiar with Malibu hulls.  They built it with a very short tongue instead of the mile-long ones they normally like.  I have a maximum storage depth, and a long tongue is a non-player.  I ordered a single axle and managed to convince them to not put brakes on it, saving me the money and the trouble.

I had to add my own prop cage, which was pretty easy to do for me since I enjoy those kind of challenges.  If you are near Tampa and can let them measure your existing trailer, I think they might build the cage for you.  I am completely satisfied with this trailer.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks gary, I'm in Lecanto,  My initial findings are dealers are telling me 2-3 month's out. So I hope to find a good used rig. But I keep turning over stones hoping to find something.~How long ago did you get yours & what was the waite time?

43 minutes ago, LowBrodge said:

Thanks gary, I'm in Lecanto,  My initial findings are dealers are telling me 2-3 month's out. So I hope to find a good used rig. But I keep turning over stones hoping to find something.~How long ago did you get yours & what was the waite time?

You are close enough to Tampa to pay a visit to Loadmaster with your old trailer in tow.  I bought mine in the fall of 2019.  I only waited a few weeks.

In my opinion, you could order a new one and scab yours together while you wait.  That's basically what I did while I toyed with the idea of just building my own trailer and taking it to Mobile to get galvanized.  I'm really glad I went with the aluminum option instead.