Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Removing the gauge cluster on 2000 Malibu Sportster

I am having some gauge issues.   For the last two years, the voltage gauge has been pinged to the 9 o'clock position (way below 8 volts) but all the other gauges worked fine.   This spring, the oil pressure gauge is having issues as well.   When you turn on the key, the fuel and temperature gauges reset as normal (and work during regular running).   The voltage and oil pressure needles shake a bit during the reset but the voltage  needle never moves from the 9 o'clock position and the oil pressure needle moves up to around 20 psi (engine is not running) and stays there.

Not sure whether the issue is the instrument module or the gauges and I didn't have a voltmeter with me to do any diagnostics.   Trying to prepare for any scenario.   I see that the module appears easy to remove.   The gauge cluster looks more difficult.  When I looked under the dash,  I see an opening but it appears to be too small to get access to the cluster mounts.

Do I access the mounts from that small hole?   If so, I need to find someone with smaller hands.

If not from underneath, do I need to remove the large vinyl dash covering to get access to the rear of the gauge cluster?   If so, I see a number of screws at the top, what else would need to be removed?

Larry