Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 malibu wakesetter taking water

Hi everyone,

I purchased a used 2004 malibu wakesetter 23 xti. We seem to be taking a lot on a lot of water from somewhere. One of the things I was wondering is what is plug looking item from the motor compartment. It has a single wire attached to it. It looks like some kind of temp sensor. Any ideas https://ibb.co/8s3KK9w

Does your boat have a dripless (water-cooled) shaft seal or the old-school packing gland that is intended to allow water to seep in (IIRC, at about 1 drip every 10 seconds or so, if properly adjusted)?

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. It ended up being a knock sensor. A quick drive to auto zone and we were back on the water. This is the 3rd leak we have had to fix. I hope this is the last for a little while. We are concerned about the motor. Half of the threads on the knock sensor are missing. I assume salt water from the previous owner ate it up. Unless knock sensors loosing their threads is common. Any ways. Thank you all again.