Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone mount PTM clamping rack on upper G3.5 mount for foil?

patterrr

I have a 2017 22VLX with PTM clamping racks on both sides of the G3.5 tower at the lower mounting point.  Problem is I can't seem to make these work with my wakefoil, because if rack it foil down, the foil catches the water coming off the side of the hull and re-directs it into the boat.  Not to mention the extra stress from that water catching it.  Upside-down with the foil aft the rope catches on it when a wakeboarder swings wide, and it won't fit when foil is forward as it collides with the bemini frame.

I think it might fit well in a clamp on the upper mounting point with the foil down and forward to not interfere with boards on the lower rack.  Couple questions:

1) Anybody try a PTM clamp on the upper mounting (starboard side)?  Curious if it feels way too high or gets in the way in other ways.  Here's the one I'm looking at, as it matches my other racks: https://www.activewake.com/shop/aws-pro-shop/tower-accessories-aws-pro-shop/malibu-board-rack-clamping-c-w-swivel-body-assembly-ptm-port-side-only-gray-anodized-16-18/

2) I tried to move the lower clamp to the upper position to give it a try.  However, I CANNOT break either of the two bolts from the mounting plate to tower loose.  They are seriously tight, I tried everything I could think of but stopped short of breaking the hex wrench off in the bolt.  For this kind of torque I would have expected 1/4" hex.  Any suggestions?

3) Any suggestions on other racks I should consider other than the PTM clamp for the foil?  It is darn expensive, but they are nice racks.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Use a Bimini board holder. That way the foil points towards the sky. It will eliminate the spray issues. 

Seems like it would need to be pretty strong since the foil puts quite a bit of leverage on the board.  Do you have a link to what product you use?  Or do you have the factory pockets on your bimini (I don not)?

Edited by patterrr
42 minutes ago, patterrr said:

Seems like it would need to be pretty strong since the foil puts quite a bit of leverage on the board.  Do you have a link to what product you use?  Or do you have the factory pockets on your bimini (I don not)?

I don't, but was out with guys this past weekend who did.  They had two up there.  No issues at speed.  I think it was the standard factory bimini pockets.  

5 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Use a Bimini board holder. That way the foil points towards the sky. It will eliminate the spray issues. 

I used the Bimini holder on my A24 first, but when it does fall over, it hits tower hard. 

I have the PTM clamping racks and it fits in those great with the foil down. 

Some of this is going to depend on which foil, mast length and board. I am not sure its a onesize fits all scenario…

1 minute ago, MFknK said:

I have the PTM clamping racks and it fits in those great with the foil down. 

Do you have your PTM clamp with the board in the upper or lower position?  My mast is 30", I could see it working okay with a 24" or shorter mast in the lower position.

Has anybody managed to brake the bolts loose on the mounting bracket for the PTM clamp for relocating?  I can't believe how tight they are.

46 minutes ago, patterrr said:

Do you have your PTM clamp with the board in the upper or lower position?  My mast is 30", I could see it working okay with a 24" or shorter mast in the lower position.

Has anybody managed to brake the bolts loose on the mounting bracket for the PTM clamp for relocating?  I can't believe how tight they are.

I use a kit like this. https://www.searshometownstores.com/product/Craftsman-99941-42-pc-Bit-Torx-Bit-Socket-Wrench-Set?store=3804&preview=3804&isClearanceItem=F&utm_source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping&utm_campaign=SC-Shopping-LIA-Trademark&gclid=CjwKCAjwiLGGBhAqEiwAgq3q_swv_QxcQprW_3oRa5renFe9BUP1z2gZxnFxlR7jDPdgGNwxVp59lBoCjdIQAvD_BwE

Those Flat heads that mount your dovetail to the tower are going to take some Penetrating oil to creep behind them to loosen. Spray them down with PB Blaster or oil of your choice for a couple days to try to get it to creep behind them. Flat heads are notorious for seizing as the large mating surface Kind of seizes together then the small hex hole doesn't do you any favors either. Also may be corrodes on threads as they have been on there for years. An impact Screw driver with hex adapter would be my tool of choice to try to break them loose. I run a Hydrofoil in my PTM clamper sometimes but with 40" mast up and strapped to the Bimini bar.

@hunter77ah & @dalt1 You were spot on!  I sprayed penetrating oil on them about two days ago and then used a 3/8" drive 7/32" hex driver on a ratchet with a cheater bar and was able to break them loose without a scary amount of effort.  I moved the rack to the upper position on the tower (this time applied anti-sieze to the bolts) and the foil fits great now with foil up or foil down.  I think I could have done foil up in the lower position with a 40" mast, but with my 30" mast the wing hits the Bimini.  Thanks for all the advice!

Edited by patterrr
On 6/18/2021 at 1:43 PM, patterrr said:

I have it in the lower position. 
75cm(29.5xxx) mast. 

Its plenty high to not worry about it catching water. Occasionally on a crosswind, the spray will bounce off and dust the rear seats, but nothing worth griping about. 

My mounting bolts had blue locktite on them. But I used an impact driver to break them loose. I recommend using Tefgel when reinstalling bolts in case you move them again. Aluminum and stainless play decently together, but there is still galvanic action to “lock” them. 

• 3 months later...