Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

AWD vs 4H vs 4Lo vs 2Hi on boat ramp

MystiikVLX

On an average boat ramp that can get wet and slick, what is the best setting to use on the boat ramp? Either launching or picking up boat. I've just it in AWD setting and turned into position and back up trailer down ramp.

AWD or 4wd Hi would be the best 2 options. 4WD hi is the BEST option as you'll get no hesitation locking into 4wd, but switch out of it before you start navigating corners around the boat ramp.\

Avoid 4wd LOW. You just don't need it and it's not as easy to switch in and out of.

^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^  Problem with AWD is it doesn't kick in until the tires spin whereas 4H locks immediately.  It's good practice to use even when the ramp isn't wet or slick as 4 wheels locked in are always better than 2.

Do you have a ramp where there's risk of the tow vehicle sliding back into the drink?  If so, you should use 4-HI.  It locks the axles together so the front tires can't rotate freely.  I'm not sure if the center clutch locks up in Park when you're in AWD or Auto 4wd mode.  I know a guy who lost his F150 on a slippery ramp when launching in 2wd.  He put the truck in park, got out, and as he started working the boat off the trailer, the whole thing slid backwards.  Front tires were rolling down the ramp with the rest of the rig.

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be willing to bet most vehicles in AWD with transmission in park will not have the front differential locked in, the auto function relies on the wheel speed sensors to engage the system. If it is in park that system is probably non functioning.

Many vehicle's systems work differently.

What vehicle are we talking about?  

Assuming we are talking a fairly light tow rig.  I've not once, in 20 years with multiple boats and ramps, put a vehicle in 4wd on a paved ramp.  4 hi once, when on a dirt ramp, to avoid spinning rears and getting boat dirty.  

Edited by dhcomp

In my Ram I just put it in 4wd Lock if the ramp is slick (or sand).  Truck doesn't have any issues getting in or out of any mode.  This year I have found myself needing to do that frequently, as the ramp I use has a lot of growth due to the weather.  Go figure, never had a 4wd truck before this one.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, UWSkier said:

Do you have a ramp where there's risk of the tow vehicle sliding back into the drink?  If so, you should use 4-HI.  It locks the axles together so the front tires can't rotate freely.  I'm not sure if the center clutch locks up in Park when you're in AWD or Auto 4wd mode.  I know a guy who lost his F150 on a slippery ramp when launching in 2wd.  He put the truck in park, got out, and as he started working the boat off the trailer, the whole thing slid backwards.  Front tires were rolling down the ramp with the rest of the rig.

I asked our local game warden a while back how many of the tow vehicles he has reported get pulled out of the lake were in 4wd. He said almost every incident the vehicle was in park and was a 2wd or didn't have the 4wd engaged. Pretty solid info from a game warden.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

When I had a 4x4, I used 4 lo to pull boats out. Had some very steep ramps too. Reason for 4 lo is it was always an easy pull due to the gearing. As far as being pulled into the lake, always have a wheel chok or a rock behind vehicle wheel . 

On 6/21/2021 at 9:56 AM, oldjeep said:

In my Ram I just put it in 4wd Lock if the ramp is slick (or sand).  Truck doesn't have any issues getting in or out of any mode.  This year I have found myself needing to do that frequently, as the ramp I use has a lot of growth due to the weather.  Go figure, never had a 4wd truck before this one.

I hear ya on the 4wd vehicle. Didn't think they were necessary for my lifestyle until I bought one. Every truck since has been 4wd. One time driving back from a jobsite in snow storm/40mph wind/0 deg I44 was at a standstill. I wheeled thru the ditch onto a 2 lane rd and straight to a hotel.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:56 AM, oldjeep said:

In a 2wd or in 2wd mode, if one rear tire slips do I understand correctly that the other rear tire will roll?   

Does the option of pulling the selector knob to "lock" the rear differential  add additional protection from one tire slipping?   

Finally, if in 4H and in park, does the selection of Park lock the front wheels from rolling?

Whether I choose, 4wd or 2wd, it really depends on the situation. Whatever option.....I always use the emergency brake once I get the trailer where I want it. Engage the brake before putting it in park. This way when you go to pull the boat out, the transmission easily moves from park to drive. Instead of the loud clunk you hear when it is forced it out of park. Also, a good practice is keeping your left foot on the brake while you start to push on the gas, somewhat of a "power brake", to get the transmission loaded. I see frequently the driver using their right foot on the brake, takes it out of park, then while moving their foot from brake to gas... the whole rig starts rolling backward down the ramp. Causing them to push on the gas quickly... potentially spinning their tires and giving the boat riders a nice jolt.

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

In a 2wd or in 2wd mode, if one rear tire slips do I understand correctly that the other rear tire will roll?   

Does the option of pulling the selector knob to "lock" the rear differential  add additional protection from one tire slipping?   

Finally, if in 4H and in park, does the selection of Park lock the front wheels from rolling?

Depends.  I have a limited slip rear, so in theory mine wouldn't.  But that all depends on the condition of the clutches and only applies when there is torque being applied at the pinion (and maybe only when in a forward gear)

4wd Lock setting eliminates the differential in the transfercase.

In any 4wd setting it keeps the front wheels from rolling when in park 

Edited by oldjeep
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Depends.  I have a limited slip rear, so in theory mine wouldn't.  But that all depends on the condition of the clutches and only applies when there is torque being applied at the pinion (and maybe only when in a forward gear)

4wd Lock setting eliminates the differential in the transfercase.

In any 4wd setting it keeps the front wheels from rolling when in park 

I should add that you also have the possibility of "real" lockers in the front and or rear axles.  

You have something like the electric lockers in some Jeep wranglers where the differential becomes a permanent spool when enguaged,

or a dog clutch locker like a detroit locker (you will never get one of these in a stock vehicle) - they are noisy when they lock but when (while) torque is applied and a wheel slips

Everything that Blindsquirrel  Said. I haven’t even thought about that but I do things just like he said by default. I just add wheel chocks on steep ramps. When I had a 4x4, I added using 4 lo. Front wheel drive is a bit different. Have to be mindful of steep ramps with a boat full of fuel. Found out the hard way.