Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Response LXI OEM Stereo Help

rbell14

I have an OEM stereo thats installed under the right drivers side arm rest. (flip up for access) I noticed the square trim ring fell out and the unit has fallen down a few inches into the panel. 

How are these held into place? Seems the trim ring can't do it all as the head unit seems a bit heavy and would need some support. 

Looking for some input on how to secure this again. 

Normally these single din ones are supported by a sleeve that comes with the stereo.  Sleeve goes into hole, little tabs get bent around trim panel, then stereo slides in.  There is an optional support strap to a threaded hole/machine screw in the back. This is probably what came off, and let it drop through.

Brand of head unit?  They all have their little tricks to remove from sleeve.  Some have little keys, some just have tabs you can push with a knife.  

I'd reach up under the trim panel, and see if you can push it back up.  Then locate the metal strap that probably came loose from the back.  May be able to peek behind the panel from the back, looking forward.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback. It's a Sony stereo (OEM) not sure of the model.  I'll give it a better look to see if I can resolve. I may be interested in replacing it so I can get one that works with Sirus XM and blue tooth. 

Edited by rbell14
2 hours ago, rbell14 said:

Thanks for the feedback. It's a Sony stereo (OEM) not sure of the model.  I'll give it a better look to see if I can resolve. I may be interested in replacing it so I can get one that works with Sirus XM and blue tooth. 

Sony hasn't changed the plug in years.  So a replacement will be plug/play.

Most of the sony head units have little keys that slide down each side to release it from the sleeve.

You can easily make 2 small pieces of metal to get it to release.  

Or your replacement will probably come with the keys.  

Not marine, but i've had good luck with this one in my Donzi.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081B5S8R8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...I have a 2001 Sunsetter LXI and the stereo is mounted in the same place. Yep...it falls in if you take some hard hits on wakes....I ended up taking out the metal holding frame that the stereo slides into...and lifting up a couple of the tabs on the top front edge...bending them up and over the front outside lip and screwing them into the boat so that frame cannot fall down into the hole any longer. I was recently up on lake George and took some hard pounding on a rough water saturday and it held fine.

See my post for new stereo for 2001 Malibu sunsetter LXI. May give you a few good ideas.