Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked plastic fitting on exhaust manifold water line

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cbbw6vxw1jwr43q/AAB8W6c5eaVcwyk8fpwgJxoIa?dl=0

Anyone have this fitting crack, and would his result in water flowing into the hull faster than the bilge could keep up to? That was my weekend and I barely made it back onto the trailer and had to ram the boat on in a panic with a hell of a lot of water in the hull. I just found he problem tonight, and If I had known this fitting was the reason, I would have shut the engine off and let the bilge do its work.. Are there brass fittings for this or are they just plastic? 

Same thing happened to me 2 years ago. I replaced them and always check them when winterizing the boat. First time out for the year I’ll start the boat in the water on the trailer and quick check in the engine bay for leaks.

i ran the boat on the trailer in the water after getting it back on the trailer. Noticed water pouring out. Didn’t do it on the fake a lake in the driveway.

Yeah I ran with the fake a lake last weekend after replacing the bearings in the raw water pump and it was all good.. I’d usually do the same as you when first launching it but there was a huge lineup to put in so I didn’t hang around long..

Should be one of the plastic ones here:

https://skidim.com/engine/exhaust/indmar.html?p=2

I don't have that engine so not sure which one. I did read when looking at replacing a similar elbow on my manifold that they are nylon because brass would cause corrosion due to dissimilar metals. So probably best to stick with nylon. In fact just found the blurb from Bakes website: DO NOT replace this fitting with anything other than nylon. Replacing these fittings with brass causes the area around the fitting to act as zinc because of the metallurgic difference.

I wouldn't use a brass one on your aluminum manifold.  The nylon ones are cheap enough, and can help give you a clue that you overheated your engine when they melt....

Thanks, yeah I read that on Bakes this morning too. I ordered a couple for the front of the manifold and the rear just in case. They’ll be here quicker than ordering through my local Malibu dealer, they don’t stock them.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that my parts are in, I took off the manifold and it looks like there was no gasket between it and the block. Is there a one piece gasket available or just throw on some gasket maker?.. High temp copper stuff?

Yes Oldjeep that’s exactly what I just picked up. 
Also the carbon buildup in the exhaust ports was substantial. I wonder if trying to clean it out is a good idea, but I don’t want to have to do the other side manifold right now too..

Edited by Vr66kyber
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Is that good enough for an exhaust manifold (400 degrees)?  I used the copper on the last set I did

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81878-Maximum-Temperature-Silicone/dp/B0002UEOPA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=permatex+gold&qid=1624991512&sr=8-1

Crap, I was thinking this was the thread about the freeze plug that popped out. Either here or on the FB group.

My bad....