Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hole in hull on VTX


Recommended Posts

Skicolorado

After 28 hrs on brand new VTX, I have a massive hole directly above my prop. I have the high alt prop that came standard with the boat. The prop does not have any dings or damage that would suggest a rock or object. I’m concerned it’s prop burn. The prop is very close to hull but again I did not change anything. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions would be great.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

After 28 hrs on brand new VTX, I have a massive hole directly above my prop. I have the high alt prop that came standard with the boat. The prop does not have any dings or damage that would suggest a rock or object. I’m concerned it’s prop burn. The prop is very close to hull but again I did not change anything. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions would be great.

Please post a photo.

It seems like the photos I have seen of recent hulls show a cove above the prop to allow more diameter.  Anything less than about 3/4" may be too close to the hull to avoid burn.

Link to post
BlindSquirrel
1 hour ago, Skicolorado said:

After 28 hrs on brand new VTX, I have a massive hole directly above my prop. I have the high alt prop that came standard with the boat. The prop does not have any dings or damage that would suggest a rock or object. I’m concerned it’s prop burn. The prop is very close to hull but again I did not change anything. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions would be great.

Pics didn’t load. Need to go to a third party site and upload them, then post the url here.

Link to post
ndahlberg12

I can see the pics, I have never seen a brand new boat do that. Do you boat in a sandy/shallow lake?

Link to post
30 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Pics didn’t load.

All I see is five "spacer.png" URLs in a row. 

I have never seen anybody use Outlook Web Abscess for hosting photos before.  Billware solutions just never seem to work correctly unless you happen to be using Billware.

Link to post
ndahlberg12
7 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

Yes we are on a private lake. Depth ranges from 5-14 feet. 

I am wondering if you are kicking up a lot of sand or something. I have not personally seen a new boat burn the gel like that. Have you contacted your dealer about this yet?

Link to post

Did it progressively get worse? I’ve never see anything like that before either but it sure seems like it was worn away. Are you surfing a lot? 
 

Either way, step one is having the dealer review so they can submit pictures to Malibu. 

Link to post
Skicolorado

Yes surfing a lot. 
Did the break in hrs by the book. Got the plug in plays installed then started using hard. We ski in the morning then surf all afternoon. I’m thinking sanding/dirt but this is unreal. How much clearance do you (ahopkinsVTX) have between prop and hull? What rpms are you at when surfing?

Link to post
51 minutes ago, Skicolorado said:

I’m thinking sanding/dirt but this is unreal.

The prop still looks new and shows no signs of any wear from sand, etc., which would ablate the leading and trailing edges and remove the machine marks on the blades.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Hemmy said:

Wouldn't be surprised if this is a result of an air pocket.

That was going to be my comment.  It seems to me that there was a void in the glass behind the gel coat in this location.  I would for sure get these pics to your dealer ASAP and keep the boat out of the water until you have resolution.  A void like that not taken care of promptly will cause much more significant damage over time.  Sorry to see that.  

Link to post

Bigger prop can cause prop burn.  I put a bigger prop on my old Supreme and had the same thing happen to my boat. 

I had a good conversation with a tech from Acme and they suggest 1" to 1 1/2" clearance from bottom of the boat or it could cause prop burn on gel coat. I would definitely reach out to your dealer. Please keep us posted. 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Skicolorado said:

Yes surfing a lot. 
Did the break in hrs by the book. Got the plug in plays installed then started using hard. We ski in the morning then surf all afternoon. I’m thinking sanding/dirt but this is unreal. How much clearance do you (ahopkinsVTX) have between prop and hull? What rpms are you at when surfing?

I will check the clearance this afternoon. We surf in 12’ plus and I’m 99% sure I zero wear. 3400-3900 RPMs depending on weight, surf side, and wedge. Standard prop which is the OJ 950. 15” diameter prop. 
 

If you are surfing where it is essentially sanding the hull each rotation I could see this happen. Crazy. Rare. Insane? Yes. But I could see it happening. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, justgary said:

The prop still looks new and shows no signs of any wear from sand, etc., which would ablate the leading and trailing edges and remove the machine marks on the blades.

I used to vacation on a lake that had a super sandy soft bottom and at the dock and slalom course you were basically turning in sand. Zero damage to the prop but after the trip the prop always looked newer than before the trip. It was essentially polished. 

Link to post
34 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I will check the clearance this afternoon. We surf in 12’ plus and I’m 99% sure I zero wear. 3400-3900 RPMs depending on weight, surf side, and wedge. Standard prop which is the OJ 950. 15” diameter prop. 
 

If you are surfing where it is essentially sanding the hull each rotation I could see this happen. Crazy. Rare. Insane? Yes. But I could see it happening. 

Our two lakes are no deeper than 10 ft.  Both have soft sandy/silty bottoms and we surf 75% of the time and have had no burn above the prop on any of the last 4 boats.  That sucks, but as stated, talk to the dealer and get it fixed ASAP.

Link to post

To guys in the know.. 

Could that be where something got dropped on the inside of the hull during manufacturing? Can it cause a chip like glass, that was loose and the cavitation from the water blow it out?  

Link to post
12 hours ago, Skicolorado said:

Yes surfing a lot. 
Did the break in hrs by the book. Got the plug in plays installed then started using hard. We ski in the morning then surf all afternoon. I’m thinking sanding/dirt but this is unreal. How much clearance do you (ahopkinsVTX) have between prop and hull? What rpms are you at when surfing?

Looks like 5/8” clearance at the closest. No signs of prop burn here. I’m going with it was a gel defect and somehow the sand basically sand blasted it’s way though. I can’t come up with any other explanation with see how it was eaten away. 

EA689D0F-BDC5-4973-AAB5-5E0E056A6BE9.jpeg

41ED7018-1BD1-42D7-83CE-4164A5BD2D6E.jpeg

37BE759F-1FBE-411F-845D-6829847CB6D0.jpeg

Link to post
BlindSquirrel

For what it's worth.... For grins I went and looked at my boat... I have a hole too, not sure how long it's been there..... never looked. I have 2 and 3/16 inches between the prop and hull. Hole is about the size of a couple bb's but goes in somewhat deep. 

7355C92D-2DAB-4CDD-B781-4BC3B70E54EC

 

12F71404-DB09-45B5-8BFC-81D94FDEC96C

 

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...