Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE shoutout

ThinBuLine

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2021 at 6:47 PM, cowwboy said:

Can you post pics of the welds on yours.

Hope this helps what you are looking for.

the install went fine other then the instructions telling me to bend the long bolt (they called it all thread). After 2 hours of cuss words and the grinder to cut off siezed nuts, I took the engineering into better hands (my own).

ended up finding a little smaller diameter bolt in stainless so there was no bending, twisting or cursing. 

B6A1DBA4-133C-4782-A67A-2A76E3D232F0.jpeg

BDF16B26-189C-4963-BDCA-EF5D2CA43C2F.jpeg

05E61DAB-3416-4E3D-ADCD-48F6F3C74AB3.jpeg

986ACA70-572A-4CF4-B3F1-C3F3CC2C3CB4.jpeg

61365625-56FA-43E3-8BF5-0ADE65BD505E.jpeg

Edited by ThinBuLine

I installed mine a couple of years ago. 2007 247, fits perfectly. Huge difference in noise. Reduced gassy smell from 383.

all round super stoked.

the ream at FAE were very helpful.

I debated for several years … should I, should I not?  I wish I had done it earlier. Well worth it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, ThinBuLine said:

Hope this helps what you are looking for.

the install went fine other then the instructions telling me to bend the long bolt (they called it all thread). After 2 hours of cuss words and the grinder to cut off siezed nuts, I took the engineering into better hands (my own).

ended up finding a little smaller diameter bolt in stainless so there was no bending, twisting or cursing. 

B6A1DBA4-133C-4782-A67A-2A76E3D232F0.jpeg

BDF16B26-189C-4963-BDCA-EF5D2CA43C2F.jpeg

05E61DAB-3416-4E3D-ADCD-48F6F3C74AB3.jpeg

986ACA70-572A-4CF4-B3F1-C3F3CC2C3CB4.jpeg

61365625-56FA-43E3-8BF5-0ADE65BD505E.jpeg

looks great! I am in process of installing FAE on my 04 LSV Wakesetter, can you elaborate on the "ended up finding a little smaller diameter bolt in stainless so there was no bending, twisting or cursing. "

What bolts, the long threaded ones they supply?

20210819_224007.jpg

1 hour ago, Surfbinder said:

looks great! I am in process of installing FAE on my 04 LSV Wakesetter, can you elaborate on the "ended up finding a little smaller diameter bolt in stainless so there was no bending, twisting or cursing. "

What bolts, the long threaded ones they supply?

20210819_224007.jpg

yeah those ridiculously long threaded bolts they supply. 

im sorry I don’t have the size of the bolt however anytime you have to “bend” a bolt the nut will siege especially stainless.. 

looking good so far.

you will have to take it off though to get the top nuts off the wedge bracket. Make sure you have a second set of hands to help you resecure those bolts. A buddy was in the engine compartment holding the bolts with a wrench while I tightened the nut. 

the instructions arnt very good. If you need help, feel free to pm me and I’ll give you my cell number. 

Edited by ThinBuLine
On 8/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, ThinBuLine said:

yeah those ridiculously long threaded bolts they supply. 

im sorry I don’t have the size of the bolt however anytime you have to “bend” a bolt the nut will siege especially stainless.. 

looking good so far.

you will have to take it off though to get the top nuts off the wedge bracket. Make sure you have a second set of hands to help you resecure those bolts. A buddy was in the engine compartment holding the bolts with a wrench while I tightened the nut. 

the instructions arnt very good. If you need help, feel free to pm me and I’ll give you my cell number. 

Thanks, so far, pretty frustrating experience. They made the mufflers incorrect, also the elbows that mount to the tail pipes are incorrect. I thought my boat would be down a couple of days. will be about a week. They have been nice, but I am very disappointed overall in what he said "we just made some stupid as_ mistakes". I think I will love the exhaust when its finally in! I love the concept. 

The instructions do not match my boat. Fortunately, I found a youtube video on a FAE on my very similar boat. They said they will be re-writing the instructions. My boat had 45 degree angle exhaust outlets, so they supplied me with new parts. Those I had to use the sealant on the transom, those parts were made correctly! 

I love the concept of a the reduced exhaust smell while surfing, plus the noise reduction. I hope it works!

49 minutes ago, Surfbinder said:

Thanks, so far, pretty frustrating experience. They made the mufflers incorrect, also the elbows that mount to the tail pipes are incorrect. I thought my boat would be down a couple of days. will be about a week. They have been nice, but I am very disappointed overall in what he said "we just made some stupid as_ mistakes". I think I will love the exhaust when its finally in! I love the concept. 

The instructions do not match my boat. Fortunately, I found a youtube video on a FAE on my very similar boat. They said they will be re-writing the instructions. My boat had 45 degree angle exhaust outlets, so they supplied me with new parts. Those I had to use the sealant on the transom, those parts were made correctly! 

I love the concept of a the reduced exhaust smell while surfing, plus the noise reduction. I hope it works!

Was the install video on a black and yellow bu? 
The principal of FAE is great. But their manufacturing is horrible. 
It's shocking that they still to this day have not hired a real welder or started using mandrel bends. 

17 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

Was the install video on a black and yellow bu? 
The principal of FAE is great. But their manufacturing is horrible. 
It's shocking that they still to this day have not hired a real welder or started using mandrel bends. 

I happened to see some upgrades to this 2006 Malibu from Swell Wakesurf. I hope they give me some kind of kick back. I have been very patient and supplied many photos of my install. I can always hope...

Video 

3 hours ago, Bradley Thornton said:

I have an 07 VLX this is a pic of mine. I will never own a boat without it. 

Good luck

64996996143__3737379E-94F4-484D-B3B3-7B8C902AA2F7.jpg

Hey that looks nice! I'm sure I will love it!

are those custom made surf tabs??

32 minutes ago, Bradley Thornton said:

https://www.infinitywave.net

Its a game changer

I have been thinking about this for a few seasons. I have tried 4 different clamp on styles, I have a home made one that works the best so far. Do you still put the wedge down with the tab engaged? The install looks very straight forward. 

what length is your VLX? What are some of the benefits that are most noticeable? 

8 minutes ago, Surfbinder said:

I have been thinking about this for a few seasons. I have tried 4 different clamp on styles, I have a home made one that works the best so far. Do you still put the wedge down with the tab engaged? The install looks very straight forward. 

what length is your VLX? What are some of the benefits that are most noticeable? 

The guy that owns that company has a 23ft Malibu LSV just a cool fact

I have a 2007 VLX 21ft.   Yes wedge down wake is better in my opinion with it down with the tab. 

Needs less weight up front all I use now is front ballast no extra,  level boat, switch on the fly, gas mileage, way easier to get on plain, trick is to leave it up get boat to speed then let it down, also when you turn around you let it back up so easy to drive, Even when surfing the boat is so easy to drive. 

It's like having a newer boat without the cost. Also makes my job as the driver way easier. 

Kids wake is money also (This is my kids wake) all stock ballast full and wedge down.  (When its time for us to ride we just fill the back sacks 2/3rds full.

Just seen I hyjacked the tread sorry. :Doh:

IMG_7782.jpg