Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Malibu Seats Hardening, Tearing and Ripping

Hey all, I’ve noticed the areas of my Malibu seats closest to the seams are hardening, cracking and splitting. This started last year and I had one of the seams repaired but now it’s cracking again.

I use Boat Bling Vinyl Sauce to clean but don’t use any conditioner.Any ideas to help soften this material?

And ideas for fixes? 

FCD9A76F-9AA4-44CA-BF6D-0E65174FFB0B.jpeg

D34F54FA-FB59-40C9-8877-7D6ED3C7D54C.jpeg

683EFF47-38DA-4B18-A51A-6E95909B70B4.jpeg

3AD153B8-DD4E-4CD8-8032-8821BF1D0DD0.jpeg

8A37ACE0-4877-423A-B379-C7ED52B3B1B8.jpeg

Edited by Raleigh

Yup, get used to it.  I have that same material on parts of my seats and it is a brittle plastic that has become more brittle over time.  Not like the rest of the "normal" and M grain vinyl which is soft and looks new.  I'm figuring on all new seat cushions over the winter - but made without that crap.

Edited by oldjeep

Do u guys keep in heated storage for winter or let it freeze sub zero?

I have a 2016 but my experience with previous boats is non-heated storage is a disaster for boat vinyl over time

6 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

I have a 2016 but my experience with previous boats is non-heated storage is a disaster for boat vinyl over time

Mine sits in the garage, which is typically above freezing.  This particular material is a know problem.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:22 AM, oldjeep said:

Yup, get used to it.  I have that same material on parts of my seats and it is a brittle plastic that has become more brittle over time.  Not like the rest of the "normal" and M grain vinyl which is soft and looks new.  I'm figuring on all new seat cushions over the winter - but made without that crap.

Thanks Ill try this. Not the prettiest fix but it is what it is.

18 hours ago, The Hulk said:

I store wrapped in the temperate southern climate. I will look at heated storage.

5 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Does any of the vinyl conditioners like boat bling help with this issue?

Didn't with mine.  The normal 303 products work fine on the regular and m grain vinyl, but don't seem to soak into the plastic like stuff.

I was reading a thread earlier about how there was such high hope for the 2016 era vinyl change. Looks like they went a step backward rather than foreword!