Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 A20 prop selection

ralett

I have a "new to me" 2016 Axis A20.  It has the Monsoon 350.  It has the Acme 2249 prop (15 x 14.25 x .150).  We primarily surf, and run 2300 lbs of ballast (hard tanks + 400 bow bag + 550 rear bags). Surf speed is typically 11.6 - 11.8 MPH, which has the engine turning 3400 - 3500 RPM.  We are not running at high elevations.  We have plenty of hole shot getting up to surf speed.  However, we are burning a lot of fuel which becomes an issue with the 42 gal fuel tank.,  We can easily burn through a tank of fuel during a day of surfing.  I would like to get the RPMs down to reduce the fuel burn if possible.

So my question is, has anyone had experience running a higher pitch prop for surfing on this particular boat?  

I am considering the OJ Props 949-MF (15" x 15" x.120) or the Acme 2277 (15" x 15.75" x .105).

I am concerned that going from 14.25 pitch to 15.75 will result in difficulty holding surf speed.  The 15" pitch on the OJ seems like a better choice, but I don't know about the quality and availability of that prop.

Of course, "trial and error" at $650.00 per prop is no ideal.

Any experience you can share is appreciated.