Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Staycool Pump Impeller Issues

Curious what type of life everyone has seen on the Staycool impellers...just installed mine last week and when I bought it, didn't have a history with it.  I went to buy another one on Amazon and there are a handful of negative reviews about it shredding in a short amount of time.  Wondering if I should just buy the Johnson impeller and pull the staycool out as an emergency spare (assuming I can get it out in one piece)?

Also, I've been using pliers to pull it in the past.  Used a spring puller for a trampoline this time, if you are too cheap to buy a puller (like me), what do you use?  I heard paint can openers somewhere, seems like it would be difficult to get leverage on mine.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions.

48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I use a right angle needle nose vice grip pliers.

I didn't even know those existed...would definitely make it easier to keep a grip!  When you grab the impeller, are you grabbing a vane or inner to outer ring (~1/2" or so section)?  Thanks!

Just now, chise33 said:

I didn't even know those existed...would definitely make it easier to keep a grip!  When you grab the impeller, are you grabbing a vane or inner to outer ring (~1/2" or so section)?  Thanks!

I grab the hub

I tried a stay cool several years ago and it did not last either.  When taking it off I squirt some dish soap on the impeller and then crank the engine over a few times. Sometime it starts to works it's way out on its own  and then use the paint can openers to pull it rest the way or just plyers if it's already loose. Don't forget to either pull your safety lanyard  off or disconnect the coil wire before turning over.

On 6/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, chise33 said:

On 6/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, oldjeep said:

I grab the hub

For some reason I don't think I was able to do that...but either way, I slide in the needle nose pliers onto the vane that is closest to the 12 o'clock position, then when pulling out I simultaneously push downward to counter the lower vanes that are pushing upward and causing the resistance.  If you apply the pressure correctly, it slides out easily.  I'll have to try just grabbing the hub next time.

FWIW, I spray a little WD-40 into the shaft and crank the engine a couple times (don't start it.)  When installing the new one, I use dish soap with some water to lubricate the impeller.  WD-40 or other oils are harmful to the impeller if it sits for a while.