Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

‘01 Response LX engine failure at 1400 hours…what to do next?

Nothing lasts forever.

We put our relatively new-to-us ski boat in the water this week for the first time this year. we bought it two years ago and have really enjoyed it. Did an oil change beforehand and did some basic checks. Everything looked good for another year of skiing fun. 

Within about 15 or 20 minutes, the engine temp spiked. I opened the doghouse and could easily see where a hose had come lose from the impeller housing. Easy fix. Temp did not get past 220. Reconnected the hose and everything seemed great. The next day, we were about a mile from our dock when the engine started to lose power and sputter. I shut it down and opened the dog house again. This time there was about three inches of chocolate milk in the bilge. I checked the dipstick…no oil visible on the stick. We live on a river where the current would carry us home, but I had to maneuver the boat to stay away from shore. Thanks when I heard the rod knock, or what I presumed was a rod knock.

Fortunately, a neighbor was boating by and towed us back to our dock. We had guests; so, we continued to entertain them as we waited for our mechanic to arrive. He confirmed the rod knock.

The question is, what now? It had an Indmar 325 in it with 1400 hour on it. I am pricing long blocks and finding reputable sellers prices in the $2500 range. Not bad. We may get this done for under $5k. But that is just one option. Maybe a crate engine is more gooder. Or rebuild this engine. What other suggestions do we have from the crew here?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Go with the long block option and a good mechanic. Lots of these out there running great. My 01 had a long block put in it by a previous owner. Going strong. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Go with the long block option and a good mechanic. Lots of these out there running great. My 01 had a long block put in it by a previous owner. Going strong. 

I started calling around this morning. Rebuilt long blocks are several weeks out. I am going to order a new GM Marine engine. Cost is close to $4k before shipping, but we can salvage our summer. 

Thanks for the advice. 

-Bill