Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 wakesetter stereo upgrade?

wakesetta12

Many here have gone to the wet sounds mc1 but it is not plug and play.  I am not aware of anything that would be besides a newer Rockford black box unit but doubt that will give you the modern unit you are looking for.  I just run and Exile BT unit with my Rockford and have no need for anything else.  Here is link to the MC1.

https://www.wakemakers.com/wet-sounds-ws-mc-1-marine-radio-media-center.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_JuGBhBkEiwA1xmbRXFNIS6KC9OjtWqwIasMogNFeb4NQZnY39JxQzDESZIbkRKs4jE2YxoCHvIQAvD_BwE

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 2012 22 MXZ and when I bought it had the wetsounds eq with bluetooth. I swapped it out for the Fusion RA-670 and its awesome.  I also have the bluetooth remote mounted on the transom.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some momentum going in the shop today.    Installed the Fusion RA-210.   A bit warm to do the wiring right now but I’ll get to it.   Had some Carbon backed lite ply I used for the filler ring.   

9DD7B93A-3D1F-4EC7-BA40-767991033A0F.jpeg

3D56D29B-B144-4163-B7CF-1225E32E78ED.jpeg

Got everything installed and wired up.  Wasn’t bad at all.   Did some rearranging and cleaning up the install of course.  Can’t leave anything alone.  Power is from the unused seat heater CB (15A).  Can now turn off helm power and still have tunes.    

Super happy with it.   2 zones and sub control with each zone.   Also has a great app and a BT satellite remote I’ll put on the transom.    

I would caution against using any B+ and B- sources on the helm side, to supply the operating current for the new media unit. IGN turn-on? different story, but a lot. of newer units dont need a constant B+ for memory, just the switched B+ as its operating supply. 

@saxton15 The black box is nothing more then a remote mounted media unit with a helm mounted screen. So anything new would be redundant and replace the functions of the BB. 

Power is from the “utility” bus that’s powered right from the Perko switch/battery.   So it’s not “switched” in the typical sense but will power off when the batteries are shut down.     The only wires I had to run across to the amp wall was the 6ch RCA cable and the amp power signal.  

@saxton15 Completely eliminated the black box on the amp wall and the controller touch screen.    The new head unit has 6 rca outputs and on my setup is signal for 3 amps, one of which is the original RF one powering the 8 inside speakers.   There seems to be a LOT of leftover wiring and cables associated with the RF stuff and it’s very tempting to start removing as much of it as I can!

Edited by ROFF

If I helps, when I did my install I powered the new Fusion HU directly off of the closest amplifier power terminals.  All of it is powered up by the battery switch.  I think having the Fusion HU grounded to the amp directly helps with rca feedback too but I could be wrong I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

@ROFF, where'd you get that chrome trim panel from? I'm looking to upgrade my 2011 VTX stereo to the Fusion RA210 and would love a clean finish like yours. Additionally, the 2011 VTX dash is inset where the factory stereo sits so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to offset the Fusion with the dash.

The chrome trim ring is from the OEM Rockford unit.   I popped that off and fabricated the filler piece from some scrap carbon sandwich from another hobby.    Took a bit of trimming on the back of the ring to fit flush and used a few dabs of Goop to hold it on.  

• 2 weeks later...