Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I buy this boat?

Trev625

Hey Malibu guys, I'm looking to buy my first wakeboard boat (Grew up behind an I/O with a tower) and I've been looking into getting one of the classics, 2000ish CC/MC/BU and I found this one on BoatTrader: Link 

My budget was around 25k and this one is 31k and it's in Cali while I live in Alabama so it looks like it'd be 2500ish to transport it here.

My question is, do you think I should stretch my budget up that much or keep looking for something closer (distance and budget wise)?

2 hours ago, Trev625 said:

Hey Malibu guys, I'm looking to buy my first wakeboard boat (Grew up behind an I/O with a tower) and I've been looking into getting one of the classics, 2000ish CC/MC/BU and I found this one on BoatTrader: Link 

My budget was around 25k and this one is 31k and it's in Cali while I live in Alabama so it looks like it'd be 2500ish to transport it here.

My question is, do you think I should stretch my budget up that much or keep looking for something closer (distance and budget wise)?

I never regret stretching my budget on a boat!

• Like 3

Make sure you inspect and water test it in person, it is a 17 year old boat.  and then just tow it back yourself if you decide to buy.  From the pictures, it looks ok except that their battery setup doesn't meet USCG regs.  No boxes or terminal covers.

• Like 3

Also I think they left a zero off on the price of a new cover. $150 won’t get you much of anything for a boat. Cheap eBay ones are like $400, evolution ones are $1100+.

So $31k + $2.5 transport + travel expenses to see it (I hope) + incidentals.   

If it were me I’d look for one closer at $35k since that’s what it will probably cost you.
NTM the risks/unknowns  of a cross country sale.   

Although that one does look to be in pretty nice shape.  

And I did just miss out on a great deal on the exact toy I really wanted.  Ugh. 

Edited by ROFF

I am about to purchase a 2011 vlx, with 650 hours. I was gonna go out of state for a 09 with a few less hours.  Minor upholstery damage but love the boat.  Any thoughts about the hours? 1st surf boat purchase 

17 minutes ago, Underground1 said:

I am about to purchase a 2011 vlx, with 650 hours. I was gonna go out of state for a 09 with a few less hours.  Minor upholstery damage but love the boat.  Any thoughts about the hours? 1st surf boat purchase 

Hours are on the high side at 65 hours a year, but should be fine.  Depends on what the hours are spent doing, surfing is like dragging a car trailer behind a civic - harder hours than cruising or riding at a good speed without a boat full of ballast.

Upholstery is fairly expensive to fix.

I have that same boat.  Mine has 275 hours on it.  Having said that if they have all records and it looks like it has been taken care of the hours don’t bother me.  Where is the upholstery damage?  What prop does it have on it?  Plug and play ballast bags?  What is price?  Which trailer does it have?

Plug and play ballis, 4 fin propeller, 2014 single axle trailer..

upholstery damage is only 2 corner cushions.  $53k

Couldnt find much between $30-50k

I have seen these going for 65-75 so price is good for this crazy market.  See if they have records.  Guessing shaft seal was replaced by those hours but ask.  Check the MTC screen(one bottom right) and make sure no bubbles around the corners.  They are 2300 to replace. If bubbles,  even if still working it will fail at some point.  Check for key start as well .  That had to be added after the fact to that year.  Otherwise when the MTC fails you will be stuck.

And you need a double axle trailer.  I would not go far with single axle.

Edited by JLT3

Hey guys, I really appreciate your responses on this. It seems like my gut opinion is around the same as what you guys are thinking. I don't want to buy it without seeing it and can't make it out to Cali so I think I'm gonna pass on it. Hopefully something will come up closer to me.

• Like 1

This boat is in my town, I have messaged him several times For a friend and no response. If you get a response and want me to go look at it and inspect, I will happily. 

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Hours are on the high side at 65 hours a year, but should be fine.  Depends on what the hours are spent doing, surfing is like dragging a car trailer behind a civic - harder hours than cruising or riding at a good speed without a boat full of ballast.

Upholstery is fairly expensive to fix.

high side😂, you poor northerners 

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah - although there are outliers, 30-40 hours a year is pretty average around here.

wow, we are up to 250 a year , about 200 before covid, our season is 12 months with a 4-8 week break from about 1/1-2/14, snd i am not gonna change my oil 5 times a season, 3 or 4 plus annual tranny vdrive and impeller 

7 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

wow, we are up to 250 a year , about 200 before covid, our season is 12 months with a 4-8 week break from about 1/1-2/14, snd i am not gonna change my oil 5 times a season, 3 or 4 plus annual tranny vdrive and impeller 

And it depends on what you use the boat for.  Seems like surfers can go all day.  We mostly ski, so we're done in under an hour and then the boat is typically at anchor.  So in a typical 6 hours on the lake it only puts an hour or 2 on the boat.

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

And it depends on what you use the boat for.  Seems like surfers can go all day.  We mostly ski, so we're done in under an hour and then the boat is typically at anchor.  So in a typical 6 hours on the lake it only puts an hour or 2 on the boat.

we wakeskate and board then surf, meat and potatoes before dessert